Topic

8×10 silnylon tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 8×10 silnylon tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Caleb Boyle

@calebb

Hi all,
    first post from a lurker about my first MYOG tarp.

I just ordered 7yds of 1.1 silnylon from Quest to make an 8×10 tarp. My mom is very experienced with sewing, so I am good there.

I am needing some insight on whether to put together (felled seam I think) two 5×8 sections or two 4×10 sections. I was leaning towards the 4×10's to make a nice ridge line for an A-frame pitch. But will this not work if I want to pitch a trapezoid with the 10ft side on the back? (The seam would be running across the tarp and not up to my trekking pole) If I wanted to pitch a trapezoid would I have to use the 8ft side for the back?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Caleb Boyle

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think it would be better to do 4 x 10.

I think the fabric is stronger along the fabric than across it.

If you are always going to do an A frame pitch, you could do a catenary curve. See article .

This will make it pitch more taut.

If you do a trapezoidal pitch it won't work so well.

You could do a straight seam, experiment for a while, and if you decided to always do A frame pitch go back and put in a catenary curve – you'de just lose about an inch of width which wouldn't matter.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I would go the other way, ie. 5×8.
    The shorter seam will cause less interuption of the material, less loss, and assuming it is seam sealed, can go either way while setting it up, assuming you got 60" fabric.

Cat cuts work OK for single purpose shelters. The nice thing is they set up nice and tight without a lot of flapping that can loosten stakes.

I prefer a flat tarp because of the multiple options they provide. ADK lean-too, wheelan tarp with wings, diamand and flying diamond are a few of the most common I use. With the wife along or another partner, I set up as an "pup" tent over a mesh body for bug protection, thus paying a little in weight for versatility.

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Assuming your bolt width is 60", making a 10×10 would seem like the best use of the material (two 5x10s with one seam) and give you the most options. Yes, I realize it would weigh 20% more. Worth it in my book.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools