Topic

input on myog knife/tool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear input on myog knife/tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Tjaden

@ktjaden

Locale: West

I am going to start work on my own knife and want to design some additional functionality into the tool without adding too much weight. I would like your input. If you could only have three tools on the trail what three would you choose?

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

About two year ago I made some nice basic light weight pocket knifes for my brother and I with just the essentials with parts from Sog knife company.
    I order the Sog pocket power plier handles from Sog and blades, scissors and can opener screw driver combo part,Plastic washer,metal washer parts . Then I mounted them on one side it makes a great light weight sliplock knife.

I marked on the handle were I should grind cut outs to open each blade. Then I used my dremel and a round bit to grind out the cut outs. I then made a para cord braided lanyard to mount on the side with out the blades.Be sure to mount bolts on both ends of the handle to keep the knife structure stable.

On one knife I put 6 different tools on one handle but it was very hard to do I was not happy with the weight and how you had to open different blades just to open the other blade you wanted to open.
    So the three blade combo works the best.
    What's cool about Sog is the blade quality is the one of the best in the world and you can get black oxide for the tactical look if you want.
    Link for Sog parts:
    http://sogknives.com/store/accessories.html

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Knife, saw, striker.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

+ whistle +led

Kevin Tjaden

@ktjaden

Unfortunately I have to keep it very simple due to a limited set of metal working tools. But I was thinking of something small, similar to these Atwood tools. My main goal was to come up with something that would accomplish the following tasks:

cut small diameter rope
    shave small wood for fire starting
    remove splinters
    open packages
    release knots (awl?)
    strike a fire rod
    Slice cheese and steak

What tasks do you find yourself doing in camp or on the trail most often?

Atwood knife

Atwood Booger

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

bear cannister key. pot grabber.

Kevin Tjaden

@ktjaden

Pot grabber and bear key are both great ideas and shouldn't be too hard to incorporate.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Love this subject. If I could only have three parts: Knife, double tooth wood saw and pliers – knife and saw tips double as screw drivers (two different sizes – knife: small / saw: medium) and pliers double as pot grabber. But I would want to add: Scissors, tooth pick and tweezers. Don’t want a led – I want the light to be separate for when I need to use the multi-tool at night.
    Apologize for being so ignorant but, what’s a bear canister key?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

the swiss tech utila key can do almost all the jobs described and its cheap and wicked light.

-Tim

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Apologize for being so ignorant but, what’s a bear canister key?"

There are several models of bear canisters, and they are all supposed to be almost impossible for a bear to open. For the human to open them, typically there is some kind of tool required to actually turn the latches. In the old Garcia can, this required only a coin or something shaped about that way. In newer brands, it is fairly similar. My Bear Boxer requires something about like a car key.

However, if you have nothing, you are in trouble.

–B.G.–

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I really want a knife with a tiny LED like the Photons as well as a fire striker and a medium/small blade, oh and maybe a whistle too!

Someone please tell me this already exists!

It seems like a lot of people on this site carry a necklace with a Photon Micro light, fire striker, whistle, and knife. What if it was all one thing!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"It seems like a lot of people on this site carry a necklace with a Photon Micro light, fire striker, whistle, and knife. What if it was all one thing!"

As a general rule, a fire striker requires two separate parts, one for each hand. How are you going to do that within one knife tool?

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Maybe it'd be like a Blastmatch?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I really want a knife with a tiny LED like the Photons as well as a fire striker and a medium/small blade, oh and maybe a whistle too!

Light My Fire has one with whistle/blade/firesteel:
    http://www.lightmyfireusa.com/firesteelknife.html

I had one and thought it was perfectly usable, but I haven't seen them mentioned on line. The steel isn't anything exotic, but is at least as good as a Swiss Army knife.

There is something to spreading your survival items out a bit, so you can't loose them all at once. Adding a Photon to the knife would work fine.

As to the OP's post, a saw needs some more sophisticated machine work. Putting a prybar on the end would be great, but you would want a reliable sheath.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Bob,

In Spain we don’t have/need bear canisters, so that’s why I didn’t know a key was needed to open them. I get the idea. Thanks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don't really see flint and steel as a survival item

In a survival situation you should climb into your sleeping bag in your tent

It's probably going to be raining and windy where it is difficult to get a fire going period, and to get the fire going and gather wood to keep it going you'll get way more wet and cold than you'll ever get out of the fire

If you want a fire, use waterproof matches or butane lighter

I think fire is more for recreation

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I think the idea might be you get separated from your pack and the knife is still in your pocket

the same reason I carry a small neck knife that is setup as a "kit" (albeit I also carry a matchsafe in my pocket)

<- Boy Scout :)

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Kevin,
    Pretty cool project making a one piece primitive tool and knife. To get the multifunction you want I saw one knife on Dave Budd site that look like it might meet your needs to get ideas for designs. it called the viking for ideas.
    http://www.davebudd.com/AvailableNOW.html

I also played around with draw to design a primitive one piece pocket tool that about 3 to 4 inches long over all. The bottom is the blade the top of the knife is steel striker and the spike is your awl and splinter remover. Wrap the the handle in 2.5 or 3 mm climbing cord. Make a small leather sheath that has the small part of top of the blade steel exposed so you can use it as a hand protecter from the blade when you strike the flint that hold with small pocket for your fire start flint stick. Pocket tool design by socal-nomad

Have fun
    SC nomad

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jerry opined: "I don't really see flint and steel as a survival item

In a survival situation you should climb into your sleeping bag in your tent

It's probably going to be raining and windy where it is difficult to get a fire going period, and to get the fire going and gather wood to keep it going you'll get way more wet and cold than you'll ever get out of the fire

If you want a fire, use waterproof matches or butane lighter

I think fire is more for recreation"

I carry firesteel, matches and butane lighter. I use the lighter for everyday tasks. I would use the matches for emergency fire starting, then the firesteel. A firesteel is the most inert, stable, totally waterproof means of starting a fire. It is also the hardest to use, ergo the matches.

My survival preparedness is based on losing my gear. Stream crossings, bears and two-legged snakes would be the main scenarios for losing gear. For those who cook in their tents, add loss due to fire.

My fire kit is a small redundancy for hiking in cold wet conditions. It gives me the ability to purify water, cook food, get/stay warm, dry clothing and sleeping gear, and signal for help. I do hike solo most of the time.

I have a K&M match safe with a compass, and a key chain with firesteel, tinder in a spy capsule, a Leatherman Style CS scissor tool, whistle and a Fenix E01 flashlight. I carry these items on my person along with a small quality folding knife. It gives me the ability to provide shelter, maintain my core body temperature, and navigate.

In fact, I carry the key chain and pocket knife every day and they form the core of my disaster preparedness kit.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'd think it depends on your definition of what a "survival situation" is.

If you just mean stuck in the woods trying to get home, maybe you're right.

I think many of us have more paranoid definitions of "survival situation".

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"In Spain we don’t have/need bear canisters, so that’s why I didn’t know a key was needed to open them. I get the idea. Thanks."

Henk, we could arrange to have some Yosemite black bears airlifted to Spain. Then you would have your hands full. Those bears are particularly adept at breaking into small European-size cars.

–B.G.–

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Bob Gross said:Henk, we could arrange to have some Yosemite black bears airlifted to Spain. Then you would have your hands full. Those bears are particularly adept at breaking into small European-size cars.

Bob,
    This is great idea I am laughing but I think it's a great way to get rid of the Yosemite and Mammoth mountain,eastern sierra bears.
    The USFD exports them only a few 100 miles they return but export them to other countries is the ticket. Let them deal with Bear cans.
    My brothers paint house for a living and they have had bear cubs jump out of dumpster ,One bear almost took one of my brothers arm off when he jumped down to paint the lower part of house deck he had been painting.My brothers have tons of bear stories,my favorite thing to do when I visit is go to the group of dumpster after dark and watch the bears eat.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

@Kevin: Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to answer this.

@ Bob: French & Spanish authorities have spent a lot of money (partially financed by the EU, through a project called Life) reintroducing bears (Ursus Arctos) from other European countries (I believe it was the Czech Republic) and even though the results have not been bad, there are still no more than 18-27 in the whole Pyrenean Mountain range (depending on where the info comes from) divided in two different (and very distant) regions. Last I’ve heard, is 18 bears in the Central/East part (all reintroduced) and only 4 in the Western part, all of these being males (after the last female, Canelle, was shot in October 2004). Canelle was the last autochthonous female bear in the Pyrenean Mountains.

Then we have another area between León, Lugo, Asturias, Santander and Palencia (what’s called the “Cordillera Cantabrica”), where there are known to be about 140 + 25/30 (two different regions) and it looks like every years there are some cubs born.

So yes, conservationists would love -I think- to receive some of your Yosemite or Mammoth bears. My knowledge of same is not enough to be able to give a well-reasoned opinion (it’s for Scientifics to decide whether European and American bears could be “mixed”), but I certainly wouldn’t mind having to deal with bear canisters :).

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Henk, thanks for that little dose of perspective. that will come in handy the next time I am told I have to carry a bulky bear cannister into the mountains. Dont take this the wrong way, but I hope some day you will have to carry a bear cannister in your home range as well.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Hi Adan,

Just as the title says: So do I, but I’m afraid it’ll take a loooong time. Bears here try to avoid us “humans” after centuries of being shot down. They’re amongst the most endangered species here and if it wouldn’t have been for the reintroduction (started back in 1996, if I remember well), they would have been extinguished many years ago (at least in the Pyrenean Mountains).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools