Topic

Gatewood Cape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gatewood Cape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Is it okay to use the Gatewood Cape without a bivy? I haven't seen one in person, but I looks like it shuld be paired with a bivy if expecting rain.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I think it depends on the specific conditions. In very high winds you would need to pitch lower than I personally would like to try to pitch it. Starting on the AT with a GC last year I brought a very light bivy, a 6.4 oz Oware bivy that's not waterproof on top (water "resistant"). In part to deal with potential spindrift, and in part to keep me a bit warmer. And on that trail, in part to use to be warmer, drier in shelters (one night the soft snow gently blew inside the shelter and covered everything and everyone …).

The GC was designed to NOT need a bivy, and for normal three-season use I think it would be just fine without, I wouldn't take one. I started the AT in late February, and there was a lot of snow to deal with along the way.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Hey – I'm a 6-footer who's used the Gatewood Cape in the rain without a bivy. Basically I pitch it pretty high if I'm not expecting blowing rain. If it looks like I'll have blowing rain I pitch it really close to the ground – even to the ground in the direction of the prevaling wind if I think it's necessary.

I haven't had any problems with my bag getting wet, but I do have a 1-foot eVent strip on the bottom of my quilt just in case.

If you're worried about it then pack a kitchen trash bag to cover the bottom of your bag. Depending how you sleep (tossing & turning) it's most likely that it will be your feet that would get exposed. A tall kitchen trash bag could be pulled up to your knees and may give you the insurance policy you need.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I am about 5'11" and was wondering how much room I will have at my head and feet before touching the walls? I currently have a Golite SL-1 and was condsidering making the switch to "lighten my load" by about 6-7 more ounces. The SL-1 is great, it is like a mansion inside.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Hi Andy,

I am also 5'11". I use my Gatewood with SMD Serenity bug net. As long as i keep the bug net attached at optional attachment points I am comfy and have good clearance.

I have even more room when I don't use the bug net.

I have also used the Golite SL1 and the similar GG Spinnshelter. They are significantly roomier than the the Gatewood.
    If you like the Golite, but don't like the weight, you may want to consider the much lighter Spinnshelter as well.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I just used the cape on a 3 day trip on the Benton MacKaye Trail where it rained on us for 24+ hours straight. I just used a polycro groundsheet and pitched it close to the ground. I used my pack, water bottles and other gear I didn't mind getting splashed to build a wall of the front end where the vestibule is higher. Rain wouldn't get in, but it would splash up when it hit water already on the ground. I stayed dry and slept comfortable. I am six feet tall and definitely on the upper end of the height range as there wasn't a ton of room between my feet/head and the shelter walls, but it ended up being enough. If you use a thick pad, like a NeoAir that would also work against you there as I use a 0.66" Ridgerest. It is easy to set up and seems well designed, though line locks on the tie outs would be a nice touch.

Gatewood cape on the bmt

If you like the Golite SL1, I agree with Steven that the Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter is a great choice. I have one of those as well and it is my go to three season shelter. It is a little more fiddly to get a taut pitch with, and doesn't have as much sitting up headroom, but is more roomy otherwise.

If you want to try one of them you are welcome to borrow either of them.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

+1 on the no bivy necessary.

You would be more prone to getting moisture from touching the sides and that would be minimal. I use a ULA Rain Wrap (with the waist chord pulled tight) over the foot of my bag for extra protection when it is necessary. If the conditions are real bad, you can bypass the short guy lines and stake the sides down next to the ground.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

+1 on the lineloks. After two seasons with my GC, my wife sewed lineloks on muine for me. No more adjusting out in the rain!

We also added an extra tie-out to the back side of the net tent beside my head to get a little more space inside the netting. This requires an additional attachment point being added to the CG itself. We just got a snap set from SMD and used that.

GREAT shelter.

Hint – use a ball cap or in my cse, my Tilley, to hold the hood open during the rain when the vestibule must stay closed. The brim will keep it open and the rain out.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Re: "Hint – use a ball cap or in my cse, my Tilley, to hold the hood open during the rain when the vestibule must stay closed. The brim will keep it open and the rain out."

That is a great hint. That will really come in handy at times when you want to keep the condensation down and the rain out.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The other thing that can help give a little more precious headroom is to use the extra tieout and a trekking pole…

Gatewood Cape on the Allegheny Front Trail

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools