Topic

Ray-way gear HeLp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ray-way gear HeLp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nico brilmyer
    BPL Member

@niconotori

I have found numerous posts about Ray Jardine, however, i haven't found anything specifically on his gear. Can anyone or everyone please give me their opinions on first his backpack, or any of his gear you have personally used? I am considering making his ray way backpack but want to know what other/ how other people think of his gear. Think price? ease to make? functionality? perhaps versus an original MYOG equivalent…

thanks guys!

-Nico

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Ray's stuff is solid. His designs and approaches have made huge influences on the ultralight world. You have to pick and choose what of his methods work for you but I definately recommend giving the backpack kit a try. Though I have designed and made most of many of my own backpacking items, one of may favortite is the pack I made from his kit. When it comes to my winter kit (mild NC winters) I tend to go for the Ray Jardine pack. He provides the basic design for his pack and bags in his book Trail Life. I recommend the book as well.

Ray pushes no sternum strap or hip belt. His original kits were true to this. You did not get either. It looks like he has relaxed this a bit and now offers these in the kit. I have found his original size (smallest he offers) to be plenty of room for my winter gear…about 6.5 lb base weight with the foam pad inside.

Here is a pic on Dec 20 using the pack in Linville Gorge, NC. I didnt expect to find an unfrozen water source for the first 24 hours (which was accurate) so I started with 3 liters. With 2 days of food my packs weighed about 15.5 pounds at the begining of the trip. Linville has some rough trails and the pack performed like a champ. BTW I dont use a sternum strap or hip belt, I stopped using them after reading the book.

Rayway Pack at Linville Gorge

Jamie

PS I would recommend getting his thread at least for the pack, it is stron stuff.

nico brilmyer
    BPL Member

@niconotori

Ok sweet Thanks Jamie! Would you recommend it for longer treks? Or a sternum and hip strap if the bag will be heavier?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Nico, I would say the best testimony for longer hikes would come from Ray Jardine himself. He has used these packs for many thru-hikes including the PCT and AT. I'd say if he can push them 2000 miles they are good packs for longer trips. I really can't comment on the sternum strap or waist belt as mine doesn't have either.

I really like the size of the pack, the pockets, and shoulder straps. Though I would reduce the thickness a bit the should straps are a bit overkill in my opinion. The backpack does take a bit of time to make, I would call it a moderately difficult project.

Here is another pic that sorta shows the pockets.

Rayway Pockets

Jamie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools