Topic

UL Guyline and Plastic Quick Release Latches

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL Guyline and Plastic Quick Release Latches

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Looking to buy UL guylines that won't stretch when wet, plus 4 small plastic quick relaease "latches" like the kind Henry uses — shown in photo below. Can y'all recommend an online seller with reasonable shipping costs for small orders?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Benjamin,
    Most of the DIY materials sites sell linelocks.

Michael Oppegaard

@mike_o

Locale: Coastal NC

Ben, I have been using 2.2mm Zing-it made by sampson ropes.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I've ordered those form Quest Outfitters several times.
    I don't think they sell guyline though.
    I know in the past I've used triptease, but I usually just go to my local outfitter and buy the length I need (they sell various lines by the foot)

Almost at the bottom of the page:
    http://questoutfitters.com/plastic.htm

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

what you mean MYOG forum?

http://questoutfitters.com/plastic.htm#Acetal Fasteners 45 cents each. ask them via email to ship first class

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/994110 this is zing-it, by the foot

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks — very helpful!

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I just ordered some from Joe at Zpacks, along with some 1.25 yellow guyline, + line tensioners. Not sure how well they work (I haven't tried them yet) but I trust Joe. If he stocks it they should be pretty good. when they come in I'll let you know how they work.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Dug. I have a Zpack Z1 from Joe Valesko and I've been very happy with Joe's products. I'm sure the line and line lock will work very well together if Joe paired them.

In my case, I prefer Henry Shire's linelocs over the triangular ones shown in Z's website (personal preference is all).

Enjoy your new purchase!

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Ben,

Questoutfitters sells the same linelocs, I believe, that TT's use. Good luck!

Clint

edit: just realized that someone else posted the same thing… many apologies =P

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

hey Clint, those mustached balaclavas are hilarious!

Ben, I know of a place that sells these linelocs for cheap, and they have glow in dark style too.
    i'll be back to give the link when i find it.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

I'd check out Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics as well….. they seem to have most of the buckles and latches….

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

We have both the line locks http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1483029 —at about as good of a price as can be found—$0.30 per

and a variety of cords that will not stretch like out utility line in 1.75mm http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/994110 Or out Dynaglide at 1.8mm http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1805222

Just be aware that those lines do not pair well with the line locks as they are designed for 3mm–1/8th inch cords.

Cheers

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment

Michael Oppegaard

@mike_o

Locale: Coastal NC

I've bought a bunch of stuff from Paul, good stuff and quick shipping.

Paul,
    I'm using 2.2 zing it in that style of lock. I haven't had it slip yet but do you think I need to go bigger?

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

If it is holding for you great, I could not get a good grip in any of the lines I tried till I got up to 3mm. Pretty sure I tried the 2.2 but it has been a while since I tested all the various line we have now, lots of new ones since getting the line locks in stock.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks again, everyone.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Paul,

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered some line locks from you.

I like that you charge actual shipping. I've ordered things from some places and they tried to charge $14 shipping for a 3 ounce item.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Paul:

Do you carry 3mm guylines? How do they compare with Kelty Triptease?

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

@ Daryl–You bet, glad to be able to help out. Just counted them out and they will be in the mail in the next hour or so.

@ Ben–Yes, I have a black 3mm line just lie triptease with the reflective tracer, the black color is a bit more subtle in the daytime though, still lights up great under your headlamp. Same tightly woven sheath over a poly core. I just sell it by the foot so you can get what you need rather than pre-packed footage like the triptease.

It's Here: http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1415993
    Middle of page 3 of the store.

We also do a guyline kit made from 450 pound tensile 1.75mm line that has prussic knots added for easy adjustment. This line will not stretch at all under load until you hit the max work load. The prussic's can be looped over your stakes or onto the corner tie outs of your shelter. Just slide the line though the prussic to take up the slack.

They are Here: http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1203757

:)

Paul

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks again, Paul. I still have some Triptease on hand. I was exploring whether there are thinner/lighter alternatives but reading your post, it looks like the linelocs won't have as firm a grip on the 2.2 or thinner cords. Oh well… Thanks for your info.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Not a problem Ben, I have been searching for a smaller version. Does not look like they make one yet but if enough of us ask then maybe someday there will be a viable option for those of us that know all we really need is 1mm line in the right material to be more than strong enough.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

someone(s) should write to ITW about getting one size smaller linelocs- plenty of smaller, suitable guyline- just need the apropriate size lineloc ladderlock

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Itw/nexus makes the line locs and line loc side release buckles for cord. But they have stopped their sample program . Quest has the line loc 3 and I have talked to them about getting the line loc side release buckles.
    I have found 2.75 mm cord from sterling rope works the best and is the most durable cordage for line locs.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools