Topic

single-servings of summer sausage?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition single-servings of summer sausage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul Sturrock

@byblow

Does anyone know of any pre-packaged single servings of summer sausage or any other kind of pre-cooked meat or sausage? It's such a mess to slice up a stick of sausage on the trail, and I have a hard time cutting it up in equal portions for each day. If there are no single servings available, would dividing a sausage into single servings before the trek be feasible? If so, would you use ziplock bags, plastics wrap, etc.?

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

I just toss one in a ziploc and eat on it until it's gone. I've taken 2-3 days to finish it off with no problem.

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

I've seen small packages of sausage at World Market, if you have one in your area.

Paul Sturrock

@byblow

Do you remember the brand name?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I might be going by WM today or tomorrow – will try to snap a photo. They carry a lot of good ones.

Also check out what Minimus carries:
    http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=sausage

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The sausages on the Minimus site are the same ones World Market sells. Same three flavors as well. At least in my local World Market.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a similar store called Cost Plus Imports, and they used to stock tiny turkey sausages. I think they were in a 1-ounce size, and plastic-sealed, of course.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Cost Plus and World Market are one in the same. They have not changed all the CA stores to that name yet. Just a name change

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Being the owner of a shiny new Food Saver, I'm wondering if it'd work to cut sections of a grocery store sized summer sausage and vacuum seal them.

(Cut using a reasonably well sterilized knife and cutting board)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

OK! Just got back from town….yes, Cost Plus World Market carries the same ones as Minimus and are even cheaper – $1.49. The snausages are 1 3/4 ounces each. They also carry a nice salami that is 3 ounces for $2.99.

Picked up a bunch and will be doing a blog on them this week….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools