Jan 10, 2011 at 6:50 pm #1267549
Any one up for another snow trip?, maybe after Henry Coe. I would still like to make it out to Dewey Point on a clear day. Whata ya guys think?Jan 11, 2011 at 3:05 pm #1682840
I am in! March is a good month to head out!Jan 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm #1682849
By March, there will be a lot more snow to deal with on the trail out to Dewey Point. That's good, because it makes the trail better, and it gives you more building material for a snow cave when you get out there.
–B.G.–Jan 11, 2011 at 7:49 pm #1682978
Screw the the cave Bob, I'm building me an Igloo! HA!HA!Jan 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm #1682986
Jack, if you have a Grand Shelters igloo tool, then an igloo might be the best choice. However, that thing is not simple. For unpredictable (California) snow, a cave or quinzee might be far better.
Several years ago, I had been in contact with Grand Shelters about that tool, and they referred me to a local retailer. Since my buddy and I were heading off to the mountains for a ski camping trip anyway, we stopped off to view this tool. I had about a 50% intention to purchase it. However, once I held it in my hands and thought about it, I decided to pass. It is a certain amount of weight to carry in addition to your shovel.
–B.G.–Jan 12, 2011 at 8:56 pm #1683387
@davidpcvsamoaLocale: East Bay, CA
Good idea Jack. I am likely in.Jan 12, 2011 at 10:07 pm #1683400
I'm going to throw this day out there, how about March 19th ( that's a Sat.)weekend?, it should be a full moon, or we could hike in Fri. night with a full moon. I'll keep an eye on the weather and go from there, sound good.Jan 13, 2011 at 9:37 pm #1683773
After my last weekend trying out the snowshoes, I'm definitely thinking about snow camping. And what better way than Yosemite?Jan 21, 2011 at 11:09 pm #1686931
So far I have
David L where are you?Jan 22, 2011 at 6:55 am #1686980
@meldLocale: The here and now.
I'd like to go.Jan 22, 2011 at 8:26 am #1687005
No problem Marc, Just to let everyone know, keep me posted if you have to change you're plans so I can keep this thread updated.
@ David W. do you know if there is a limit on how many can go in a group up to Dewey Point?
Thanks JackJan 22, 2011 at 9:01 am #1687017
Most of Yosemite's backcountry rules apply to summer when the heavy use happens. There is one limit for on-trail groups and another limit for off-trail groups (typically eight). For winter, I have never heard of a limit, because winter is kind of self-limiting. But that might mean that I have never asked.
If you find out that you are over some limit, you simply split your total into two groups, get two permits, travel out there by separate trails, and then coalesce.
I was involved leading a trip out that direction once about thirty years ago. We ran half of the group (the skiers) on one permit, and half of the group (the snowshoers) on the other permit.
Also note that your chances of running into a wilderness ranger out there are very slim once you leave the marked trails. (nudge nudge)
–B.G.–Jan 22, 2011 at 9:26 am #1687027
@kat_pLocale: Pacific Coast
I am in :)Jan 22, 2011 at 9:43 am #1687033
I am in. Deciding whether to ski or snowshoe.Jan 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm #1687077
Thanks Bob, as always, good info.
Kat,Ken I have you both down, as long as the weather holds this should be an great trip.
Who want's to head in on Fri?Jan 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm #1687169
Cannot on Friday and I will on Sat. If a storm is coming in then I will be a no. I just don't like dealing with Sierra storms in the snowJan 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm #1687174
"I just don't like dealing with Sierra storms in the snow"
Very few like snow storms. On the other hand, the storms will chase away all those who are faint-of-heart.
The risk is getting up to Badger Pass. Highway 41 is OK, but then you have to turn east on the Glacier Point Road for those 4 or 5 miles to Badger. If you are lucky and there hasn't been any snow for days, then you might be able to slide up there with an R1 restriction on the road. However, if the road gets just a little worse, they will up it to an R3 restriction (snow chains required, all vehicles, no exceptions). Of course, that makes the 4WD Jeep drivers mad.
The reason is that this short section of road is not banked right for winter driving at any speed, so cars (typically descending) slide out of their lane into the opposite lane, and that gets bad results.
The last time that I was parked at Badger, it took me an hour to shovel my car out. Then I had to drive (with chains) down to Highway 41, and then had to go with chains about halfway down to Yosemite Valley before it all turned to rain.
The smart thing to do is to load as many people as you can into a 4WD vehicle (with chains available). That way, the entire team can deal with the vehicle at once.
You have been warned!
–B.G.–Jan 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm #1687177
I kinda like the storms Ken. Makes me feel alive!Jan 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm #1687179
Bob, I am of the faint of heart. Summer thunderstorms I a can handle. But if we are having a big storm roll in, I'd rather stay home at experience it in The Santa Cruz Mtns. in my nice big home. Just that way.
As for you comments about getting to Badger. You are soooo correct sir. There is one bend that I think you were refering to that is also quite steep and accidents occur there quite often.
Folks, we could go up Hwy 4 and park at the snow park at the gate. There are some fantastic places to go up there if things are a little dicey in YosemiteJan 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm #1687200
We could always go where me and David went on New Year's weekend if the roads are to bad. They have a few loops that you can do and the driving is easy. David sent me a map, but I don't know if I still have it.Jan 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm #1687215
@valsharLocale: San Francisco Bay Area
+1 On what Ken Said…..I am just a chicken when it comes to be caught in a snow storm.
Makes me drop ice cubes of fear down my pant leg. :)
Prefer to go just one night.
-TonyJan 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm #1687257
Come on guys, clear nights are cold, but snowing nights keep you nice and cozy warm HA! HA! It worked for me last time out. What ever works for you guys as far as 1 or 2 days is fine with me, I just have a lot of pto time saved up at work, and it's like money in my pocket, wanting to burn a hole through it, I gota use it,gota use it. If no one is car pooling with me, I still might go up on Fri. and car camp, then meet up on Sat. for the hike. I love snow camping! maybe I'm part Eskimo, I could see myself in a Polar bear jacket, and gloves, chewing on some seal fat. LOLJan 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm #1687394
@davidpcvsamoaLocale: East Bay, CA
I would not choose drive on CA-41 in the park or Glacer Pt. Road right after or during a storm, or if a storm was forecast. Jack and I were planning to go up 41 to Badger Pass on our last outing but it was during the last big storm on new years day. I was glad we modified our trip to the south park entrance (Mariposa Grove), since getting out of the parking lot and down 41 was worse than I care to experience again. I am going to be even more conservative about weather forecasts and driving conditions in the future.
That being said, hundreds of people go up and down Glacier Pt. Road everyday without incident. I don't see the harm in tentatively planning a trip to Dewey Point. We can evaluate the conditions and weather forecast as the date approaches and cancel or modify the trip. I agree that it is a good idea to get as people as possible it to a few well equipped cars with chains.
I don't know about the group numbers limitations for Dewey Point. If we really want to be safe, I guess we could reserve a permit.Jan 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm #1687400
"I don't know about the group numbers limitations for Dewey Point. If we really want to be safe, I guess we could reserve a permit."
It does not hurt to call the ranger station. On the other hand, I've been to that ranger station on a number of times in winter when they were very temporarily out.
I think it would be absolutely pointless to reserve a permit in the winter. About the only place that we absolutely must get winter reservations is for Ostrander.
If you thought that you were going to get hit with the snow storm of the century, then you could alter and head further out on the Glacier Point Road, like to Bridalveil C.G., or around the corner from there at Westfall Meadow. The advantages of the road (for skiing or snowshoeing) are that it makes navigation simple, and it is smooth.
The view from Dewey Point, Taft Point, and Sentinel Dome are fantastic, though.
–B.G.–Feb 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm #1702879
@kat_pLocale: Pacific Coast
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.