Topic

cracking the convenience store code

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition cracking the convenience store code

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Locale: southern appalachians

I'm planning a fastpack of the Mountains-to-Sea trail this summer. About half of the current route is on roads, which occasionally pass by convenience stores.

In order to make my resupply more efficient, I'm looking for information on nutritional info, weight and caloric content of some of the common foods found in typical convenience stores. I was wondering if there was a website or better yet, a spreadsheet with this data that anyone was aware of. Thanks.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Calorie King will tell you all you need to know about particular items. There are other sites as well.

It's up to you to create the spreadsheet and then the "pick list", based on your favorites and the favorites of others.

Me – I'm partial to Orange Crush and Twinkies.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Matt, if you are interest I can send you a spreadsheet that has many of the high calorie foods, targeting over 125 cal/oz. It has a full breakout on protein/fat/carb split and is the "universe" of foods I will take on my PCT hike this summer. PM me if you are interested. May save you some time.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Greg. I'd like to see that spreadsheet too. If you don't mind.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I would also really like to see that!

-Samuel

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

+3 on seeing that spreadsheet. You should probably just post it, methinks. =)

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

+4 on the spreadsheet.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Fer sure

Dave Myers
    Spectator

@patientwolf

Locale: South Western Oklahoma

Would love to see it.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Here is my master list of foods that have all the calorie info. There is a section on the dinners. These dinners are a combination of a base such as Hamburger helper plus other ingredients such as freezed dried ground beef, olive oil ect. The details of these meals are found in the dinner tab. The rolled up calorie count and nut info is for the entire rolled up dinner. You will notice that I use a wide variety of Hamburger Helper. This allows me to get a wide variety of "mountain house convenient" meals at a fraction of the cost.

Also, based on local or store specific brands, you may or may not have heard of many of these brands, such as little debbie. But you can use this as a guide to find those unexpected high calorie dense treats. I just done part of the work.

You can easy add rolls as you find your taste specific foods. The totals at the top should roll up.

http://tinyurl.com/45849nb

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Greg, that looks pretty awesome. Great resource for everyone. Thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thank You.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

that's a great resource you've created there Greg – thanks for sharing it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools