Topic

Making a rain kilt/skirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making a rain kilt/skirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

So has anyone ever considered making a rain kilt/skirt? I’ve seen some threads about people wearing kilts while hiking and liked the idea of being able to slip a kilt on over my shorts if it starts to rain. I’m never comfortable in rain pants, since I always wear shorts when hiking and the material always gets clamy on my bare legs. I was throwing around the idea of maybe sewing a WPB kilt that extended to just below my knees, that way it would keep my shorts dry, but breathe well too. I would probably invest in a pair of the new ID eVent gaiters to keep my socks drier if I go through with this.

The only hitch is that I have never sewn before. I’m not sure what is involved in making a kilt/skirt. Is it necessary to sew pleats into the garment? Also, what would be the best material to use for the project. I figure that silnylon or spinnaker fabric won’t breathe well enough and my shorts will get wet just from the sweat. I just took a look at the thru-hiker.com site and the only other material they have that might work is their Epic fabric. I’d like to keep the project as light and cheap as possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Adam

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Etowah Outfitters makes a silnylon rain kilt. It is essentially a finished tube with an elastic waist. I looked at it in person once. I doesn’t have pleats, but I can’t remember if it had a slit or not. It looks like it would fit fairly loosely. Instead of elastic, maybe you could make it with simple belt-loop clips or toggle loops for better ventilation at the waistband.

-Mark

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

I’ve “made” a rain kilt out of a garbage bag with integrated drawstring. No sewing required, just a pair of scissors. I got the basic idea from The Complete Walker. It works surprisingly well, though there will obviously be some durability issues. I use a twist tie to hold the drawstring in place, as a belt.

I think that a non-breathable fabric is fine, because there’s so much air flow up through the bottom. The only exception is right around the waist, where the fabric is pressed up against your shorts or pants.

I’ve been interested in a getting a silnyl or tyvek rain kilt, but could never find one for sale, and I don’t sew. The Etowah Rain Wrap, which Mark pointed out, looks good, but I can’t find it for sale anywhere online. I’m surprised that none of the other small ultralight gear companies have made anything like this.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I have to echo the ‘simple to make’ comment and add an idea… instead of a ‘tube’ why don’t you make a ‘wrap’ (aka sarong) that would overlap about 3 inches in the front.

Then, with three-to-four belt loop clips (as mentioned above) or small ties it might be easier to put on and take off than a tube.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

instead of a ‘tube’ why don’t you make a ‘wrap’ (aka sarong) that would overlap about 3 inches in the front.

I kind of considered that, but I’m not sure how that would affect the the waterproofness of the garment. I’m afraid the rain might run off of the raincoat and find its way through the overlap and onto my shorts. It would definitely be easier to put on though. One of the guys on my floor has some extra material from a toga party, so I may make a few different types out of that and see which one I like the best. Then I’ll try it with the silnylon or whatever I decide to use for the finished product.

If I make the tube I will either use use elastic around the waist or maybe a strip on velcro, like on the cuffs of a jacket. If I do the sarong-style it might be best to do the velcro. I would like the waist to be slightly adjustable so I can wear it over multiple layers (or if I gain weight). Are there any simple options I may be missing?

Adam

J R

@ravenul

Well, making a “proper” tube sarong is really simple. Its literally only 1 seam as you can glue the hem – or just use a soldering iron to melt the hem as you cut it.

Ive made several rain kilt/sarong type things. My current one, and favorite one, is based on the indonesian mans sarong.

Heres a page with how to wear it, and other ways to use it.

http://www.expat.or.id/info/howtowearasarong.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools