Topic

Escalante Route/Grand Canyon advice for end of April.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Escalante Route/Grand Canyon advice for end of April.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I'm going to try for an end of April permit for the Escalante Route. OK, I read the article in Backpacker Magazine last month.

The only requisite is that I end up somewhere with a shuttle or transportation back to near where I started.

As the permit application requests you list all areas that you are camping in, any suggestions on can't miss camping areas.. Horseshoe Mesa?

Any other suggestions, advice, opinions, logistics etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

joseph a cruikshank

@bigfeet

Locale: maple valley, WA

I did the same route 2 years ago in early May. The temps that year were around 110 in the shade! When there was shade. We started at Lipan Point, down the Tanner trail and then ended at Grandview Point. There are so many visitors there it was easy to hitch a ride back to Lipan Point to get the car. The beach campsites along the river are just great. And make sure you explore Seventyfive mile canyon. Horseshoe Mesa is also a fantastic place to camp, just fill up bottles at Page Spring first. There are some caves on the west side of the mesa that might be fun to explore. That was such a great hike!

Will Webster

@willweb

Have you tried posting on Hikearizona.com? Lots of very helpful folks there who've hiked the Big Ditch more times than I can imagine.

BTW, I believe that the only cave in GCNP that it's legal to enter without a special permit is Cave of the Domes, off the west edge of Horseshoe Mesa.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Thanks for the replies. Good timing as well, I received my permit for April 24th (5 days). I'm thinking the weather will be very reasonable. I'll be camping along the usual spots (Red canyon etc), then Cottonwood Creek and Horseshoe Mesa before I hike out.

…OK I'm totally doing what backpacker magazine told me to do.

Looking forward to it. I love that part of the country.

John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

+1 to scoping 75 mile canyon. Look into scrambling up the summit on horseshoe mesa, the Unkar Overlook Ruin is unique and has line of sight to the ruin opposite the river to the west.

Keep an eye out for rockfall in the "papago slide" scree slope. I've seen some close-calls here- be savvy!

Lastly, if you are looking to escape sun, there are some shady places to camp below Horseshoe Mesa.

Enjoy your trip!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools