Topic

Multi-Vitamin for a long distance trek?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Multi-Vitamin for a long distance trek?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

First of all there is a big difference between cedar tea and pine needle tea and if we are going to go into the pregnancy debate … then lets go there. Many teas, such as the raspberry leaf tea can cause miscarriage if consumed in the first two trimesters. There are a multitude of other teas, commercially available, that CANNOT be consumed during pregnancy.

If you need to know what is safe during pregnancy when it comes to tea… here is a reliable article….

Is it safe during pregnancy?

Oh… and if Jay is pregnant then, yes, cedar tea could be an issue.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I probably should have added that I have no opinion about the link I posted.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Laurie, Thanks for the helpful data! For the record I am expecting but I not pregnant. I saw my doctor earlier this week and asked the question do I need a multi-vitamin and he said: (It couldn't hurt at all) and he recommend taking one every other day- I like that idea! Cover your bases and possible diet deficiencies..

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think it only relates to caffeine levels.

http://www.wellsphere.com/pregnancy-fertility-article/which-foods-should-i-avoid-during-pregnancy/34243

Caffeine

You should limit the amount of caffeine you have each day. Caffeine affects the way your body absorbs iron, which is very important for your baby's development. High levels of caffeine can result in a baby having a low birth weight, or even miscarriage.

Caffeine occurs naturally in a range of foods, such as coffee, tea and chocolate, and it's also added to some soft drinks and 'energy' drinks. It's important not to have more than 300mg of caffeine a day. 300mg is roughly equivalent to either:

* three mugs of instant coffee,
    * three cups of brewed coffee,
    * six cups of tea,
    * eight cans of regular cola, or
    * eight standard bars of chocolate.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

the every other day suggestion is a great idea!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

John… it isn't just caffeine. I drink a lot of different herbal teas and there are many commercially available herbals that do have items not safe in pregnancy.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

If I understand correctly…

If I'm really addicted to or just thoroughly can't go without Pine Tea, then I should not conceive while hiking the PCT…?

But, what if I'm going southbound? :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

As long as you stay north of the land downunder, you should be fine.

Mickye Adams

@howdy

Locale: East Bay Hills

These are great ideas and questions. I think we should do a little study asking what changes occur in key areas during a long thru hike. Check bone mineral density and some vitamin levels and blood count at start and finish. Anyone think that would be doable?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Generally on a stenuous week or two week trip I ake a B complex + C vitamin every other day.

Also I take a 200 mg. Chromium Piccolinate every day to help metabolize fat and cut down on my craving for sweets. But then I do that at home too.

TJ Jones

@transcendingwalden

A really good multivitamin is blue bonnet. they're organic and have everything you'll need on a thru hike. because our soil has been depleted of much of it's minerals in the past century, most foods are lacking in vitamins and minerals. so even if you're not on a hiking it's a good idea to get all your levels checked. most americans are deficient in a lot of vitamins and minerals. but i think it's a necessity on a thru hike to have a multivitamin. it's probably the most light weight source of energy you can buy.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

jay~
    i'm a HUGE fan of healthforce nutritionals.
    http://www.healthforce.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1
    i'm not a pill popper, so i prefer their powder supplements, which are EASILY assmiliated into ANY food. the 'vitamineral green' is extraordinary! i use it on a regular basis, as it teems with the superfood greens that are often lacking in ANY diet. my atheltic performance (and overall health) has noticeably improved with regular use. it can be purhased in pill form, but they also make sample size (2.95 each) glass jars (easily transferrable to a ziploc) that might suit your needs for a thru. don't be offset by cost. a little goes a long way and you get what you pay for! having worked at a natural foods store, this was the most sought-after product. i've been using this product (and others of theirs) for a solid year now and vitamineral green is now a regular staple in my diet. the rewards have been entirely noticeable– both inside and out. i'd be happy to send you a sample bottle to try out beforehand. pm if interested.
    lt

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools