Topic

August 2005 Yosemite Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports August 2005 Yosemite Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Here are some photos from a trip I took to Yosemite in August 2005. These photos don’t show the unusually poor weather that we had much of the time. The higher peaks like Mt. Dana got a dusting of snow one day…we just got the cold rain. We hiked in from Tuolumne Meadows down Rafferty Creek with the plan to do a 30-mile semi-loop.

Since the weather wasn’t what we had hoped for and no one was around, we stayed 3 nights at Vogelsang and just explored the area, including Boothe, Evelyn, Ireland, Fletcher, & Vogelsang lakes.

On the positive side, the heavy snowfall the previous winter caused the park to close most of the High Sierra Camps, so we had Vogelsang mostly to ourselves. The surprisingly bad weather with rain and swirling winds caused us to move our hastily assembled camp the first night once we were able to scout out some better spots. One distinct disadvantage of a 8×10 tarp with two people is that it’s harder to find a good spot. I was much happier with the second spot.

The weather did improve the last day and we took a quick dip in Boothe Lake. My brother-in-law spent much of his time fishing (catch & release Brookies) in the various lakes.

Vogelsang High Sierra camp dismantled due to heavy snowfall previous winter.

Dismantled Vogelsang tent/cabins

First camp with swirling winds and poor drainage

Tarp pitched in a more protected and better draining site.  In storm mode due to the cold weather.

Exploring the surrounding peaks, with Mt. Fletcher behind me.

Great expansive views on the way out.  Looking north toward Tuolumne Meadows.

After the backcountry trip, we did the usual tourist thing (which is also great) and hiked up the John Muir Trail from the valley to Half Dome. The weather warmed up and we got fantastic views. We got to the summit ~5 pm, and again were able to avoid the crush of tourists (well.. you know, tourists other than us). We got a great site that night just below the shoulder of Quarter Dome with NO one else around. At 3 am that night, I was awoken by a group of people that must have hiked up from Little Yosemite for a moonlit hike to watch the sun come up. I was too tired to rouse myself to follow them since the hike the day before wore me out.

Our camp on the shoulder of Half Dome.  This is the highest you can legally camp.

This was the view of Half Dome from our camping area.  Think you can see some people up there.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools