Topic

Help with my first quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with my first quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I bought nylon fabric from Thru-Hiker.com called Momentum at 0.0 oz/sy. It came today! It’s really nice looking, very thin fabric. But I have a dilemma.

The fabric is slick and shiny on one side and has a dull matte finish on the other. Being a complete newbie at MYOG, I don’t know which side would be best for next to skin.

I’m sure some of you experts out there like Bill (Mr. MYOG) Fornshell, have used this and can give me advice.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Hey Michael,

The Momentum90 is awesome. I just finished a down quilt with it, and the matte side is the “right” side. You’ll want it facing out on both the shell and the liner, with the shiny side facing the insulation sandwiched between.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Thanks Ben,

I was kind of leaning that way but I didn’t want to get out on the trail and someone say, “Nice quilt, but why did you sew the Momentum backwards?” Then I would have to make up something really fast. :-)

BTW since this is my first, I’m using the Climashield XP for insulation.

Thanks again!

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Michael,

That is awesome! You’ve got to post on how the project turns out, and especially about the performance of the Climashield. That’s a future project – a couple of synthetic quilts.

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

0.0 oz!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WOWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Where can I get some of this weightless matter?? Heck, if I can get some of this then I have solved the mystery of dark matter in the universe. The gravitational contstant is wrong!! Michael Davis is a genius!!!

:D

Michael Davis

@mad777

I would try AntiGravityGear.com

Just kidding. That was suppossed to be 0.9 oz/sy

Who’s idea was it to put the “0” next to the “9” :-)

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Its made from woven muons. It is fairly light, but is has the annoying characteristic of passing right through the earth with no resistance.

Gets cold like that.

Betzi Marshall
    Spectator

@beamarshall

I think you might want to avoid the neutrino fabric for _that_ reason, muons tend to experince rapid decay, but will interact with most solid substances. (are there too many scientists on this list?)

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You’re right. I vaguely knew that was the wrong name, but couldn’t think of the other one.

Have you seen the new Higgs boson heavy water purifier?

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I’ve got this windshirt made from strings only about a Planck length thick; it actually absorbs the wind into 10-dimensional space.

Well, this is all theoretical right now, but man, is it sweet.
    -Mark

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

10 dimensional???!!!!

So THAAAATS what the sixth derivitive of position is…..

:D

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

>>”10 dimensional”

or perhaps 11 dimensions??? a reference, perhaps, to “branes” and “String theory” – the latest “craze” in the insane world of grand “Unification” within the Physics community was my thought when i read the post mentioning “10 dimensional”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools