Topic

Best Lake for a Basecamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Best Lake for a Basecamp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Every year my family and friends car camp at June Lake for 10 days. At the end of the trip, I take a 2-3 day solo hike into the local mtns. I am looking for a place to do that on the other side of the Sierras. Requirements:

1) My friend takes a boat for trout fishing, and we dock the boat just steps from our campground. Any new location would have to be just as convenient for this to work.

2) Must have all the amenities nearby like a bar, groceries, etc.

3) June lake has literally dozens of trout lakes and rivers nearby and dozens of hiking trails nearby to keep me busy.

So why a different spot? Because Ive been going East for 15 years! Its time for something new! Any ideas?

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've never been here, so I can't give you any first-hand knowledge on what's there or what's around there, but what about Lake Isabella?

For your solo trip at the end of the campout, you're right there around the southern portion of Sierra National Forest and the Golden Trout Wilderness. There's some nice hikes off of Hwy 190 on the west side of the sierras. Not very high country, but kinda' neat nonetheless. It's a popular area with the horse packer crowd but I haven't seen too many hikers around the western Golden Trout area over the years.

You could hike along sections of both the Kern and Little Kern Rivers. Some of the gorges along the Little Kern are pretty impressive.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I've been to Isabella. The trails there are real good as is the trout fishing in the Kern river. The lake however is not a high sierra lake, it looks more like a reservoir in the desert. Thanks though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools