Topic

Hilleberg Tarp Conversion – tips and advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hilleberg Tarp Conversion – tips and advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rik Sim

@polarcherry

Hi all,

I was looking to make my own tarp to meeting my bikepacking needs i.e able to house both myself and bike under the cover and stand up to the wind and rain – so fairly enclosed.

Having made bags for the bike I thought the tarp was next I was thinking along the lines of a mld trailstar or a hexamid duo for ideas.

But ….. I already own a quality Hilleberg Tarp 10 ul that measures 3.5m x 2.9m. I don't tend to use it as set up as a A frame it's a little big and clumsy and to open as it's only enclosed on two sides.

I was thinking of modifying the tarp and strengthening the middle line (I have a small piece of Kevlar fabric) to take a central pole, to be able to create a more enclosed tarp (a la trailstar).

I was also thinking of buying some serria designs tarp grip
    clips to make a better 'shape'.

Does anybody have any ideas or tips or improvements to my idea?
    Has anybody done a similar thing with a rectangular tarp.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

So it's a rectangular piece of fabric 2.9 m x 3.5 m?

Rik Sim

@polarcherry

Yes, it is a finished/hemed tarp – 3 eyelets per side, super strong kerlon sinylon

This tarp : http://www.hilleberg.se/shelters/tarp#

It does measure 3.5 x 2.9m

Before I make my own custom tarp if I can use this along with the tarp clips (preferably without cutting the tarp – as I do use it in it's current shape when paddling) to make something like a mld trailstar (not a copy – but protective like a trailstar) would be great.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Following Franco's example on another thread

Reinforce center so you can put a pole

I folded an example with 8.5" x 11" paper

side view:

side view

top view:top view

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Rik
    That was one of the reasons why I posted the "easy to make shaped tarp" thread but due to the great luck of interest I decided to delete it..
    However here it is.(custom made for you…)
    350x290 both

The idea is based on an irregular pentagon.
    Depending on the starting size of your tarp and your own size (8×10//10×12) it can work better in one of two ways.
    Lets call them Horizontal (pic N2) and Vertical (pic N3).
    Horizontal is where the apex is in the middle of the vertical (short IE 290cm for you) side , vertical where it is in the middle of the horizontal (long IE 350cm ) side
    This is the end result . The models are to scale (29×35 cm) the piece of rectangular paper is standing for a 180cm x 60 cm person.
    The one on the left is the V type, the one on the right is the H type.
    This is how is done :
    Horizontal

350x 290 H

Vertical.
    350x290 V

Note that the lenghth of the top/bottom (H) or left/right (V) side is half of the starting size ( 185 for the 350 and 145 for the 290)
    To get from the xehagonal figure to the Pentagonal one you fold in (and later cut) one of the two narrow sides (left or right, 145cm, in the V type.

The H type has a slightly higher apex (pole height) about 1 meter for this 350×290 version, about 90cm or so for the V type (sorry I could not be bothered working that out…)

What I suggest is that you start with a piece of paper like me , then either get hold of a a piece of painter's drop sheet of about that size (locally 260×360 cm, so get two and add the extra bit using tape) or mark your Hilleberg tarp with chalk, fold in and tape with Gaffa tape or the like the folded bits and see which shape if any works for you.
    Before you actually cut your tarp, remember that you need to leave an extra few centimeters to the cut sides for the hems.
    If this is not clear, please ask.
    Franco
    If you start with a square (10×10/12×12) then the top/bottom side is still half of the original, IE 5 and 6

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Franco, I just went to the other thread but you deleted your pictures, bummer

I do the same thing on occasion, make a prototype in paper first, a lot easier and cheaper than fabric

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Franco, Thanks for reposting. I really like your design and will try some mock-ups. Would you imagine setting up with one pole offset to maximize sleeping space? Or do you think setting up with two poles in an inverted V with the point at the apex of the tarp would work? Can you post more pics if you have them?

Do you think your design would work in cuben????

Mike

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Michael
    I made three full size "models". That is using Tyvek (because I have it…) and "embossed" polythene plastic sheets (protection/painters sheet) because I can get for $4 for the 260×360 cm version.
    Tyvek is 10' wide so I can get in one piece 10×10 or 10×12. I can do 10×14 as well but need to change the sides to suit.

The strongest (wind wise) set up would be (IMHO) using one pole only, however you better utilise the space particularly with the 8×10 and 10×10 versions by using two pales in the inverted V fashion.
    You can play around with having one side up and that can be propped up with a pole or guyed out.
    Some shots :
    V1
    v2 10X12
    v3 10X12

For a Cuben version , well start with a paper scaled model (for a person make a tube as long as it needs to be for you, measure the outside of your sleeping bag…) and as wide and high as it needs to be for you (IE how many inches of space above your nose do you want ?) Dont forget to include the height of your mat .

Once you are happy with that (paper model) get enough Tyvek to make a full size version.
    You can glue Tyvek with PVA or simply use generic clear tape providing you do not have it out in the wind…
    A full sized model will also let you see exactly how much the hems need to be, the size of the tie outs reinforcements and the size of the apex reinforcement patch. (don't skimp on those)
    BTW, Tyvek , like Cuben, does not stretch so you get a better idea than using polythens.
    However if I were making one for myself I would put a pressure release vent on the opposite side to the opening (so possibly two vents if different set up are used)
    That is because in high winds it looks like an umbrella to me ( i do wind tests in my head…) so putting a lot of pressure on those pegs.
    Think of the pagoda type umbrellas versus the standard type that flips in the wind.
    The vent could be closed on the outside with Velcro so that you could have it flat on normal use.

Franco

Rik Sim

@polarcherry

What a wonderful response – that you all. I will be studying the thread later and I will make a few paper mocks ups myself.

Hopefully it will be a nice weather at the weekend and I can try a few of these ideas out in the garden.

Thanks again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools