Topic

New MLD Product

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New MLD Product

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

M50 Sleeping Bag/Quilt Liner

2.75 oz

mldliner

Thanks,
    Ron

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Very nice liner, Ron!
    Just what I have been looking for.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

Any idea on what you're gonna charge?

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

is there an introduction price?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Price is on the MLD site.

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

Approximately 5337.8 Japanese yen (at current exchange rates)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

$65.00

Momentum 50 Sleeping Quilt/Bag Liner

2.75oz

Shoulder Girth: 57"
    Foot Girth: 46"
    Length: 80"

Fits users up to 6' 2" and about 185lbs.

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

Pardon me for newbie question but why should we use liner when sleeping on our bag?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

keeps sweat/oil/dirt out of your bag, not sure on this one, but some actually add a few degrees to the sleeping bag rating

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Can be used instead of a sleeping bag or quilt in temps above about 64 degrees.

Ron, how'd you guys come about this number?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I've used bag liners on summer trips in the east many times in temps around 60 at night. Also think about temps in a home and what your comfortable with…

It can also boost a bag rating a little ymmv. Know many others who Carry only, or with a dwr bivy, this on the AT in July.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ron,

Would you mod one to be a 'quilt' instead of a bag?

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Ditto to what Doug wants

Jim

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

how comfy is M50 next to skin?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Just got 6 yards in the mail today. It is silky smooth. Better than M90 as it is soooo thin.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I am also wondering if you could modify one to be more of a quilt as I would want one for an overbag rather than a liner.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Yes, it would be interesting to size up the liner bag slightly so it can be used as a zipperless, hoodless bivy (don't change closure) with ground sheet under it. That way it would have dual use when in hostels.

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

+1 for dual use in hostels.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

The liner is limited by the width of the fabric.
    Adding some extra would cause some more stitching but I agree, it needs to be an option.
    I have 6 yards and I'm making a bag with 12 ounces of 900 fill and because the fabric is so light, I was actually thinking about adding another piece of fabric to the top of the bag as to separate the stitching from the elements as well as having that double the ability to block the wind.
    This fabric is just so thin that I can only imagine the wind chill would have some what of an effect of how effective the bag would work in the wind?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I hear ya Aaron. Maybe it is too fragile and not windproof enough to be used as sleeping bag cover.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

I've been constructing my sleeping bag today with the new Momentum 50 and just wanted to share a few things about the material.
    First of all it completely different in both fell and texture than M90. It's not to fragile of a material as it is just so light it simply moves out of the way of anything threatening to puncture it.
    It is much less forgiving though. If you have a line sewn that comes out wrong there is no way you can take the thread out and make another line. The holes would not be downproof at all. You really need to use a new needle and the smallest you can possibly use.
    Next the width is actually 60 1/2" in width but about 3/4" on each end is useless due to the way it comes off the role. So 59" or even 60 when making a synthetic bag is much better than the 56" on the site and gives you the option of an easier to make on the narrow side sleeping bag.

The fabric well breath very very well. I like M90 due to the fact that it is much less air permeable. M50 is so thin it reminds me of the .90 ripstop Thru-hiker use to make several years ago. The bad thing about that fabric was that it did not keep any condensation out. With the M50's coating, it should do the trick. It is somewhat see-through, nothing like Cuben. I kind of like it this way. The only other thing is my bag can only have one name and that is the Great Pumpkin.

In short, I've been wondering where this material has been all my life?
    I just hope it does not breath too well when used on my bag.
    If so, it would seem that the best application of this fabric would be in conjunction of a synthetic bag or clothing.

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

I'm reading through the info related to the difference between the m50 and m90. Are we talking about a different (for lack of better word) 'warmth' factor between the two due to the m90 being heavier, or because the m90 has more of a vapor barrier effect?

Would there be any merit in combining one of the two (not sure which would be better) with something similar what was described earlier: a silk liner/bag to create a ~6oz summer sleep system? Thoughts?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools