Topic

walking sticks.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) walking sticks.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Kerker

@rkerker82

Locale: Northern california

looking for some walking sticks. I have no idea what i am looking for however. are collapsing sticks the way to go, or should i stick with non-collapsing ones. brand suggestions are also appreciated

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ryan,
    Here is one you can make at about 4-5 oz.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackingLight/files/A-HikingStaff/

Sections on poles mean additional weight. Sometimes adjustments are needed for whatever shelter system you are using.

jdm

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I use trekking poles with my shelters. I also carry them on airplanes. I use a two piece LT4 from Gossamer Gear. I don't adjust much when hiking though. I did look for the lightest pair for my second purchase.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Collapsible adds weight and complexity/unreliability.

Collapsible is better for traveling with and as mentioned, makes for easier shelter adjustments.
    A one piece stick can get annoying when having to deal with trains, plains and automobiles.

If you hike from home and don't need to travel, the one piece may be the way to.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if yr gonna hump some hills … i suggest paying the weight penalty for flick lock poles

the greater reliability, ease of adjustment and variable length more than make up for it IMO

for winter use flick locks are easier with gloves on …

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

At Walmart, the Outdoor Products poles, $13 each, with latch locks (same as BD flicklocks) are the best value to me, even though you will soon have to replace the tips and baskets.

Will Webster

@willweb

When I dropped a full 4 Gb camera card down a 6' deep crevasse in the Grand Canyon last year, I was able to retrieve it by extending a collapsible hiking stick to its full length and wrapping duct tape backwards around the tip. Multi-use gear and worth every gram that week.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

+1 to the Outdoor Products Latch Lock poles! I've got 250 miles on my pair, and they're still doing well. I haven't had to replace the tips, though the basket on one has been chewed up a bit, but it doesn't really matter to me. Excellent value for $25 a pair!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools