Topic

Snowshoeing in the Tetons

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Snowshoeing in the Tetons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Bennett

@stephenusc1

Locale: North Carolina

Hi all, first post so here we go.

My wife and I are venturing to Jackson Hole in less than 2 weeks for our honeymoon and wanted to do some snowshoeing while we're out there. Can anyone give us some recommendations on some good 2-3 hour jaunts in the area. Nothing too horribly difficult b/c I've never done the snowshoe thing and I imagine my progress will be, let's say, scaled back from normal expectations. Thanks in advance.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Stephen,

If you enter the park via the "normal" entrance at Moose you'll head north and soon come to the end of the plowed road. The foothills just west and north of that parking lot are small, rolling, and usually have a number of well trafficed trails. A great place to wander, both on and off trail, and get used to snowshoeing. The views of the mountains are, on a clear day, absolutely spectacular.

Driving north and exploring the east shore of Jackson Lake is also very nice. Again, great views of the mountains.

Stephen Bennett

@stephenusc1

Locale: North Carolina

Thanks for the info. I assume they stop plowing at about flag ranch or so? How well is the main road maintained out there in the winter?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Not sure if the highway "ends" at Flagg or goes up to the south entrance of Yellowstone. Should be decently plowed either way. Ditto the road to Taggart Lake in the park.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I believe the road is closed winters starting at the Flagg Ranch.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

The road closes at Flagg Ranch. It is snow packed all winter long, same with the highway going over Togwotee Pass. If you have never been there, check out Togwotee. I went backcountry skiing up there today and it was awesome.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools