Topic

Uwharrie Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Uwharrie Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Bright

@hikenc

Does anyone know if there's a map of this trail somewhere online?

Thanks

Brian Turner

@phreak

I'm not familiar with Uwharrie but this map be what you are looking for.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/badin_lake_trail_map.pdf

Daniel McKinney

@clemsonhiker

Please post a trip report if you go. I would be interested to know how that trail is.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Paul,
    I've hiked parts of the Uwharrie, Dutchman and mountain bike trails in this area. I have a local guide book that gives descriptions of the trail and only use the rough maps in the guide book. I have found the trails to be very easy to follow (However I can't comment on the whole 20 miles because I have done mainly loops. One thing to consider this time of year is the hunters will be out. However it is a great place for winter hiking in the NC.

Let me know how the hike goes. I would be interested in your experience.

Brad

Paul Bright

@hikenc

Thanks for the link Brian. I found that particular map online, but I'd rather have something a little more detailed because there are so many trails/dirt roads that connect with the Uwharrie Trail.

Brad

I found one to buy online for $10 so I’ll probably get that. I’m sure the same map is available at REI and/or the map store here in Charlotte. I would only do this trail in the winter; I’m sure there are not nearly as many people out there. I’ll try and remember an orange cap of some sort. I definitely don’t want to be mistaken for a deer or whatever is in season! I’ve never been on any part of the trail; how are the parts you’ve been on? I don’t have super high expectations, but it is really close and will be a good short winter trip. I’ll probably be out there sometime in early February so I’ll let you know how it goes.

David Harris

@dtharris

Locale: North Carolina

I went on a two night trip with three friends just before Christmas. We parked on highway 109 (middle of the Uwharrie trail) and hiked south down the Uwharrie trail to highway 24 then back north along the Dutchman Creek Trail. We had the map linked above, but there was really no need for it. The trails are extremely well marked and were very easy to follow (at least south of 109). The main Uwharrie trail was better marked than the Dutchman trail, but the Dutchman trail was still very easy to follow.

We did meet a few hunters out and could hear gun shots off in the distance, but deer season is over in all parts of the state after January 1 (http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/2010_11/2010-11_DeerSeasonMaps.pdf).

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

It's not the JMT but it is a nice area. I do like the winter better because the views are better through the forest. It is not very difficult terrain so you can make good time. It's also very easy to make loops using the Dutchman and the single track mountain bike trails. Plenty of campsites

Brad

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Paul,

I day hiked the Uwharrie trail yesterday. I parked at 24/27 and had my dad drop me at Ophir trail head on flint road. The distance is between 19 and 20.5 miles. Trail boards said 19 but website said 20.5. Couple comments:

1. Maps: I took the 3, 24k topos. Reviewed before I left. Never took them out of my pack
    2. The trail is very well blazed. Some are a little faded but you will quickly see the next blaze
    3. The trail is in great shape
    4. You have a few mountains to pull but nothing difficult. Plan on making good time. Took me 6 hrs and 20 mins
    5. The views where outstanding and I saw a lot of great campsites
    6. I carried all my water but I passed numerous good sources. Just plan on map
    7. From Ophir to 109 I didn't see anyone (I started at 8:10 so it might have just been early. However I think the south 24/27 gets most of the traffic)
    8. Saw a few people from 109 to dutchman/Uwharrie crossing
    9. Saw a lot of people last 5 miles. I would suggest not camping close to 24/27. Nice spots just more people
    10. The annual Uwharrie trail run is coming up soon. Probably a good idea to avoid that weekend. You can google info

Have a blast on your trip.

Brad

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools