Topic

Bivying Tarp-Free?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Bivying Tarp-Free?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"I've considered trying a bivy with an umbrella, giving a little protection for cooking and popping your head out."

You could do tiny tarp like http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=122

5 ounces, plus 4 stakes and one pole

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I did this a few times in my teens 'cause I was invincible then. :)

The one time it rained, I was using:
    Clothing: 100% cotton shirt and pants, wool socks
    Sleeping bag: 3-5 lb 30F-rated synthetic covered with cotton flannel
    Bivy: 2 1.5 mil trash bags taped together with duct tape
    Temp: around 35-40F

Although I was assured by others in my group that I'd be attacked and dragged away by wild animals, I managed to fend them off and survive the night. :) I awoke around 4 am to cold rain hitting my face. I simply covered my entire head and face with the sleeping bag and bivy, leaving a fist-sized opening in the side to breathe. The only issue I had was that sticks had punctured the bivy, and the bag and my pants were soaked from the calves down.

It was actually a fun experience. I'm tempted to try it again soon, but I'll probably use at least a small tarp over my head, and a breathable bivy.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I just picked up a GoLite poncho tarp (sale is still going online I think) for $48…..7.5 ounces. It's my first poncho tarp so I honestly have nothing to compare it to but I like it so far.

I'm newer to bivy camping as well but really couldn't be happier with the combo. Love threads like this as it gives me good things to think about w/ bivy issues.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

i carry the bivy when i know it will be nice and i want to keep dew or wind off me. nothing beats a view of the stars as i fade off to sleepytime. if it's going rain, i'm bringing my eVent tent.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools