Topic

Iced up goggles.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Iced up goggles.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Locale: Colorado

On New Years Day it was -2 F at the trail-head with 45 mph wind gusts. It was just bitter cold and I was really glad I took some goggles (and made my wife and son bring theirs). But just after a half mile mine started to ice up, basically the goggles fogged up and since it was so cold the moisture froze to the lens. I can deal with foggy goggles, but I couldn't wipe out the ice layer this time.

From what I can tell, my best options are Cat Crap or Fog Tech. Any input on what is better or any other trusted options out there?

Thanks,

Mike

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Skigee

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Mark – the problem is inside the lens, not outside. This trip, I took off the goggles, stuck them in my coat to warm them and then wiped them out with a bandanna. It worked, but I lost a lot of heat unzipping my coat and it needed to be repeated. I'm really looking for a preventative application, not a post issue solution.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

When I purchased my ski goggles a few years back I was told never to touch the inside lens as there were anti fog coatings from the factory that could never be replaced. I've heeded their instructions and have never had a problem with fog. It could be that you need a different design with proper vents or that the original coating has been removed. I'm no expert but you might try look for a new pair come clearance time.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mike,

1.Check your present goggles' to see if there is a slider to open and close the air vent at the top of the frame. If there is just open it up all the way to vent moist air.

2.You can also periodically, as you see the goggles fogging, hold the goggles frame in both hands and pump them rapidly out and back (to and from your face). This pumps cold air in and condensation out. It's a ski racer's trick that they often do before a run to insure clear goggles.

3. Or… you can try a new pair of goggles that have better (but adjustable) venting. (Yeah, I know, 'spensive.)

4.Try to use Cat Crap and other fog proofing material only on the outside B/C most good goggles have a proprietary anti-fog coating on the inside. Cat Crap will screw it up. Always wipe the inside ONLY with soft cloth, never Kneenix type tissue unless absolutly necessary. And then wipe very gently.
    If there is freezing rain/wet snow icing up the outside of your goggles then Cat Crap wil definitely help a lot. It keeps the ice droplets from sticking to the plastic lens. Again, wipe them off only with a soft cloth, not your gloves.

5. Oh, yeah, if you wear glasses, as I do, you need to use Cat Crap on them when wearing goggles.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i've always hated my goggles since they alway fog up on me. i use jublo colorado's now and I've applied fogtech to them. they work great.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

A possibility that the OP may have overlooked is that his stocking cap may be covering the vents on his ski goggles.

Another option to look at is using a pair of goggles designed to be used with glasses. Goggles like this will stick out farther from your face and have more venting on top than normal goggles.

I myself have been using a pair like I described for the past couple of winters with very good results (aka little fogging).

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I was wondering if traditional Inuit snow goggles, made with just slits in a protective band might prevent any fogging or icing up.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say: Cold weather: Most modern cold-weather goggles have two layers of lens to prevent the interior from becoming "foggy". With only a single lens, the interior water vapor condenses onto the lens because the lens is colder than the vapor, although anti-fog agents can be used. The reasoning behind dual layer lens is that the inner lens will be warm while the outer lens will be cold. As long as the temperature of the inner lens is close to that of the interior water vapor, the vapor should not condense. However, if water vapor gets between the layers of the lens, condensation can occur between the lenses and is almost impossible to get rid of; thus, properly constructed and maintained dual-layer lenses should be air-tight to prevent water vapor from getting in between the lenses.

I've been wanting to get snow goggles for winter for a long time, but know very little about them. Can anyone suggest good brands and models to get?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I use a pair of Bolle' that fit over glasses, as Chad mentioned, and love them.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I've found that it's usually technique that fogs/ices up goggles, not the actual functionality of the goggle. Accidentally covering the vents with your hat (as Chad mentioned), or using a facemask that direct your breath into the goggle, or taking the goggle off your eyes and wearing them on your forehead can all affect the formation of condensation.

Michael Williams

@mlebwill

Thanks for everyone's input. I don't really have an issue with my goggles, I have a good pair and they were well vented. The issue was that it was about -35F with the wind chill factor and everything froze. Like I said before, I usually don't have this type of issue, I'm just looking for something as a preventative measure in case I encounter similar conditions again.

I'm going to give Fogtech a shot. I have heard good things about them from some folks that I know. So if it works well or not, I'll be sure to post some feed back.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Facemasks and balaclavas that cover your mouth and nose are Kryptonite to your goggles. With them, it is very hard to get a proper seal at the bottom of the goggle to keep moist breath out.

My solution was to cut a piece of fleecy neoprene out of an old facemask and make a "goggle mustache". It is a contoured strip that covers my nose and cheeks but stays away from my nostrils and mouth. I glued it to the foam of the goggle with some "Amazing Goop" adhesive.

In really cold, windy conditions, I can still cover my mouth with a neck gaiter or buff and raise it up to the bottom of the mustache.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

What was different between your setup and that of your wife and son who apparently had no issue?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Have you tried “Cat Crap” anti-fog treatment and lense cleaner for your ski glasses or goggles?

I have used it for many years with good success. I also found as been mentioned ventilation around the face area is a must to reduce this irritant.

Cat Crap

robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

The smith turbo fan goggles can't be beat! I have had fogging issues my whole life in the front and backcountry. The turbo fan is the only thing that has ever worked! They even make a model that is sized for glasses to fit underneath. With the fan on high, the fog doesn't even think about collecting, let alone freezing to the inside lens. With the lack of fog, the inside lens hasn't been scratched yet and that is after about 200 days of use.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

And those suckers ONLY cost $130.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

As those cold temps, double-walled lenses are a must.

Air circulation is your friend.

Yeah, never touch the inner surface – mine are never right after I make that mistake.

Rather than create a small warm area with goggles, facemask and knit caps; create a larger warm area with a tunnel hood. That's what is used when it gets real cold. They drop the wind speed across your face and yet there's good air exchange so the air is in tunnel hood is not very humid.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools