Topic

Adding overfill to Golite Ultra 20

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding overfill to Golite Ultra 20

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I am planning to add 2-3 oz of overfill to my Ultra 20.

There are 3 parts to each baffle on the Ultra 20 – 2 sides (approx 12 in each) and the center (approx 26 in) to stop down from shifting. My Ultra 20 came well stuffed through the side chambers of each baffle but a bit understuffed in the center chambers. As well I always have hot feet and thus don't want to add any fill in the footbox. Therefore, the plan is to add 2-3 oz of down to the center chamber of each baffle aside from those in the footbox.

Has anyone tried something similar with this quilt (or have any links to someone that has)?

The only thread that I could find regarding opening up the Ultra 20 left the question undecided –

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18412

As I said, there are 3 parts to each baffle on the Ultra 20 – 2 sides (approx 12 in each) and the center (approx 26 in). My question is whether opening up the stitching at the junction where the side part of the baffle meets the center part of the baffle is feasible and if so, if this is a better option than just making a small hotknife slit in each baffle and then resewing the hole?

My sewing experience is limited (a few floored bug net inners, etc) so I'd like to stay away from anything ultra technical, but I'm definitely up for a challenge if pulling it apart at a seam appears to be doable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
    Brendan

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Brendan,

I recently came across this blog that may be of help.

http://heberhiking.blogspot.com/2010/11/enhancing-golite-ultra-20.html

Jason

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

cheers mate, that link is perfect

have you tried pulling the seams like he did in the blog? he didn't have many details about how he put it back together (thats the part that scares me a bit – I'm a perfectly competent seam-ripper but less so when it comes to reconstruction : ) .

-Brendan

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Brendan,

I want to do the same thing but am scared!

The guy in the blog actually posted on a couple forums (perhaps here, but I know on WB, maybe hammockforums.net) – I'm sure you could ask him.

When you decide and do it, please let us know how it goes.

Todd

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

todd,

I just posted a few questions on the blog linked above to get some more details about the difficulty/logistics involved with restitching. I'll keep you posted when I get a reply. Let me know if you come across any other good information.

I found another link with a rougher approach but one that I think would work almost as well and wouldn't add much more weight –

http://www.wildsnow.com/818/sleeping-bag-modification/

If it is restitching at the seam is easy enough I'd prefer to go that way, but either way I'm going to open 'er up and have a go. I love my ultra 20 but it could definitely benefit from a few more ounces of down – those top center baffles just look dead!

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

todd,

Just heard back on my questions from the blog –

The whole process seems very doable.

Stitch ripping & Down Stuffing

Basically, he used a seam-ripper to open 2" holes on the outside of the bag at the junction between the stitching that goes lengthwise down the bag (aka the seams running in the head to toe direction creating the sub-divisions within each horizontal baffle) and the horizontal baffle seams (that create each 6" baffle going horizontally all the way across (shoulder to shoulder) the bag.

He used his fingers to push down into the bag (I'll probably do a bit more measuring).

Re-stitching/Hole Closure

He did all the sewing by hand (no sewing machine).

The ripped seam releases two shell panels as well as the no-see-um baffle.

In order to rebuild the bag you have to first sew one line of stitches to attach the baffle material back to the shell material.

Next another line of stitches to close the two separated panels of shell material.

Definitely worth checking out his blog (linked above) if you want some more details. The quilt looks great at the end. Nothing like perky baffles to help you sleep warm at night : )

Cheers,
    Brendan

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Thank you Brendan!

Your thorough explanation helps a lot. Your quilt must've come from the same batch as mine! The only area I see for improvement is the center baffles, too.

Who doesn't like things perky? :)

Todd

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Oh btw, are you going to add to the footbox like he did?

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

todd,

Originally (when I was planning on hot knifing my favorite quilt) I was thinking cut minimization and was planning on just doing the center baffles through the torso. That being said, seeing that the process seems pretty straightforward to re-sew the baffles I think that I'll have to take a closer look at the rest of the baffles footbox and otherwise.

There certainty is a point (albeit a much debated one) where too much down is less efficient. Most of the baffles down the sides of my quilt are well-stuffed. The footbox has never caused me problems and lofts well so unless I get overzealous I'll probably just stick to the core.

Cheers

Brendan Mulholland
    BPL Member

@dools009

todd,

Out of curiosity, how much does your Ultra 20 weigh (and what size is it?) I have a long that weighs 20.5oz – 1.5 oz less than the manufacturer spec of 22 oz. While it seems that most, if not all, of the Ultra 20's were underfilled for their stated temp rating of 20 deg, I think that mine was 1.5 oz below even that mark!

The Long should have had 10.47 oz of down but if mine had approx. 9 oz no wonder I start to break out the extra layers when it hits the mid 30's.

cheers,
    Brendan

Michael Bachman

@rivrfox

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

How are your diy projects coming?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools