Topic

Desert Wasteland? – White Mountain Wilderness, NM, Three Rivers Canyon Trail, 12/30-12/31/10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Desert Wasteland? – White Mountain Wilderness, NM, Three Rivers Canyon Trail, 12/30-12/31/10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Eugene,

I am using Photoshop Essentials 7.0, which is the watered down version of the program, which is fine by me as I am using the idiot features on it to do automatic clean ups.

The only things that I do with the photos beyond that are to zoom & crop some of the images…..close up photos of flowers is a common on.

Otherwise, I will adjust brighten and contrast manually to try to capture how bright it was when I took the shot, based on my memory.

I have yet to try to convert anything into black and white, but it looks cool with yours.

I might actually have to read the software manual to see how to convert to black and white.

Geez, you know what this means?

Now I have to try to write something like yours on my next photo essay. *sigh*

You are killing me man….I just like take way too many photo and then bore everyone to death with a rediculous amount of photos to hide the fact that I have no ability to write. :)

Lastly, have you seen the newest digital elph camera from Canon?

Set up from yours, but has 10x optical and shoots 720p HD video.

On Amazon, the feedback is that the battery only takes about 100 shot!?

Based on that, I would need like 3 lbs in batteries on my trips.

Think I get about 600-700 per battery on mine, but I don't use the flash much.

Take care and looking forward to your next trip report.

-Tony

John Topping
    BPL Member

@johnt

Locale: Peak District

Eugene,
    I've just got started with trip reports, and got some great feedback, but you've just raised the game again! Love the writing and the photos are superb, particularly the people shots. Thanks for the work you put into this.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Thanks U,
    Love your report as usual.

One of the great things about NM is that if you don't like your current climate, you can go up or down in elevation.

I remember leaving a hot muggy NY in August and arriving to very comfortable temperatures on the high plains and mountains of NM.
    It even got cold at times.

Kerry Rodgers
    BPL Member

@klrodgers

Locale: North Texas

..both the trip and the report. Thanks to DaveC for tweeting this.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

eugene,
    i just took another look at this report and like it alot. that pic of keith with the scraggly goat and guiness in a dirty sock at the trailhead is perfect. one of my favorite photos.
    thanks man.

I would like to give a shout to some of the gear that made this trip comfortable when it could've been rough. One was the JRB hudson river quilt. i think it is rated to 20 or maybe 25, but with clothing it handled the single digits remarkably well. by 4am or so i did have on all my clothing. the other was a neoair (not mine) paired with a suluk46 padded frame, I did not feel any cold through the ground and the 14 hrs or so i spent on it was quite comfy. this also was my first trip with my new prophet and it didn't dissapoint.
    All that said, when going on winter trips, DO NOT forget your gloves. it truly sucks. i had some extremely light liners and some pleather dress gloves, of course they both wetted out in like 5 minutes. luckily i had some extra wool socks (smartwool) that became my gloves for the rest of the trip, and i didn't allow them to ever come into contact with snow. it worked, but wasn't pleasant.

Steve Scarborough

@zehnmm

Locale: southern New Mexico

Eugene: Since I have been down with the flu until recently, I have only now seen your report. Well done!

I live in Alto, the other side of the Tularosa Basin, next to Ruidoso. Have yet to hike up from the Three Rivers trailhead. Have stomped around the Crest Trail quite a bit.

This area is really a great place for hiking. There are quite a few hiking opportunities here, with a number of trailheads just 15 min. from my house.

Again, thanks for sharing a magnificent post about your trip!

Regards,

Steve

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Eugene,

Somehow I missed this one when you posted it. Great trip report and loved the pictures. Really enjoyed your writting.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools