Topic

More hiking shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear More hiking shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I am still working on making my own hiking shoes. I stumbled on some scrap leather so decided to make leather shoes. These have leather uppers/lining and insoles, a 6mm EVA midsole and 8mm Vibram Newflex outsole. I really like the Newflex. It has good traction and a nice feel and it's light. Barefoot Ted uses Newflex for his huarache sandals. These shoes do not feel heavy at all.

Simple leather shoes

I wore them on an 8 mile hike. The trail was really muddy, which was quite sad. But I washed off the shoes and they survived. There had been rain and the trail was very wet, but my feet never felt wet even though the shoes looked wet. I guess the lining helps. (They are lined with some thin leather.)

My feet did get sore, though. I've been learning to make shoes so I can make simple shoes. Not exactly "barefoot hiking" but minimalist shoes for hiking. I don't know if it's my feet are weak from decades of arch support and cushioning or if my shoes are just too thick and stiff, but my feet were sore and tired by the end of the hike. I will have to try other minimal shoes to see if it's my feet or my shoes.

Anyway, I keep on trying. Making shoes is totally worth it even if I can't make them better than the Chinese.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

Your shoes just keep getting better and better! I'm impressed. One of these days I'll get around to trying this for myself, but in the meantime I'm going to try to learn from your experience so I'll be ready when the time comes to make my own pair.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What kind of sewing machine did you use?

–B.G.–

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

They are hand stitched with an awl.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Impressive. The stitching looks so consistent.

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools