Topic

Titanium Tent Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium Tent Stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Eugene, Look up "shrink fit".

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Is that not what I was describing? I knew that titanium does not experience much thermal expansion, so I didn't bother recommending freezing the nail, just the aluminum head. Upon thinking on it again, an Easton is often used for holding power provided by its larger surface area, and using a presumably thinner titanium nail would give up that advantage. Even so, it would probably be better than the titanium nails that are available right now.

I don't know how much that would cost to make. Since Lawson was considering making one-piece stakes like the Easton, it should only matter that the total cost be competitive.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Hey Lawson,

I just wanted to make some comments on the order I just received.

I ordered the assorted drybags. They are perfect for my use. I was amazed by how thick and durable the version of cuben you use is. It is much thicker than any cuben I have seen.
    I like the fact that I will never have to worry about any of my water sensitive gear ever getting wet. I will be using these bags on my backpacking and paddling trips and they do instill confidence that gear will stay dry.

I also ordered some of the 8" eye titanium stakes. They are thick and rigid, perfect for my requirements, but I think you went overboard on getting the ends sharp. They will penetrate much more effectively than my other stakes, but I have to be careful how I pack them:-)

I may actually have to go dull them down a bit to keep them from punching a hole in my other gear.

Anyway, good stuff.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Steven,

Small square of duct tape folded up over the ends works well for me with sharp stakes.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Steve,

I am glad you like the bags.. For the tent stakes, Take a rubberband with you and put half the stakes facing one way and half the stakes facing the other way and then wrap a rubber band around them so they dont move.. This way the eye's protect the points from your gear. Its what I do and it works great.. On the next batch I will make them a little less sharp.

Thanks for the business,
    Lawson

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Regarding the sharp points, I just gave them a couple swipes against the tips on a sharpening wet-stone.
    Now they are still sharp, but dull enough that I won't puncture a stake bag.

I would have suspected that after one or two uses they would have become equally dull as well, but I just happened to be sharpening my kitchen knives any way.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I too, just recieved my 8" ti-eye stakes and set of cuben dry bags. Everything looks great and just as advertised.

Looking forward to putting these items to use!

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

As soon as the 6" stakes are back in stock, I'll be ordering 8 of them, looking forward to trying them out!

Greg Geiger
    BPL Member

@ghgeiger

Locale: Appalachian Trail

I've been holding out on placing an order with you until I had my gear list for the AT closer to being finalized. I guess the early bird get's the worm, most of the items that I was going to buy at mountainfitter.com are out of stock. Looking for the 6" tent stakes, dyneema, and the bear bag kit (I assume this isn't available because of the dyneema shortage). Any ideas as to when these items will be back in stock?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Everything will be available again by Thursday afternoon. I will be introducing a new 2.5mm 100% spectra 850lb break solid braid cord that works with LinLoc's. It has a special coating that also holds knots really well. I will offer it at an introductory price of $9.95 per 50' hank.

Greg Geiger
    BPL Member

@ghgeiger

Locale: Appalachian Trail

Great!

Although you're reinforcing my theory that–more often than not–procrastination pays.

;)

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have been thinking of making a 7" stake. Something that bridges the gap between the 6" and 8". With the new material the stakes weigh 1 gram an inch. The 6" weigh 6grams, 7" weigh 7grams and the 8" weigh 8grams.. Any thoughts?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I'm sure some may consider that the perfect length.
    You could make a small run and see what people think.

I know it's a good length for some stake bags. 8" is just a little long for one I have.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Both the 6" and 7" are instock.. 6 grams for 6" and 7 grams for 7"

Tim F
    BPL Member

@kneebyter

Locale: the depths of Hiking Hell (Iowa)

Do you still make the 7" & 8" ti-eye stakes? I don't see them on your site.

Viewing 15 posts - 101 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools