Topic

Titanium Tent Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium Tent Stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Lawson,

On this particular weekend I'm surprised no one is voting for the "Corkscrew"! ;-)

I too would vote for the Ti-eye since I also use the Vargo Ti shepherds hook style stakes. I like the eye for the guy line not slipping out of the shepherd's hook.

I can see an application for the Corkscrew on my front and rear ridge line tie outs if they exhibit more resistance to what I call "catastrophic release". My method as of now is weight the stakes with rocks or tie to an available tree for the ridge line tie outs.

I like to reduce weight and bulk in my pack. How bulky or better asked what l" x w" x d" volume would you say 6 of the Corkscrew stakes packed as efficiently as possible take up?

Happy New Year!

Party On,

Newton

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Speaking for myself, I think I might like to try a few of both styles for different conditions. Thanks Lawson!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Well since I already have straight Ti stakes, Id be interested in a few corkscrew stakes to add variety to my stake bag.

I can definitely think of times when a corkscrew would hold better than straight stakes.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

I would likely get a dozen or so Ti-Eye.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Hey Lawson,

Ever thought about making a longer version, say 9" straight and/or pigtail?

I know I'd be interested. 6" isn't long enough alone sometimes.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Steve,

I was thinking of also selling a 8" Long Ti-Eye using a piece of 3.17mm rod (1/8") that would weigh right around 8.2 grams. This is the same rod thickness as the Vargo 6.5" shepards hook 8 gram stake but would be 1.5" longer. The extra rod thickness is a real plus but it would come at a cost. These would have to be more like $2.25-$2.50. What do you think?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

+1 on a longer version 8" or 9" @ 9g would be great.

You can count me in for a half-dozen pigtails – those look interesting.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I'd take 6 right now.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

+1 on a thicker rod for the 8"

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

This thread is starting to look like some of the spam I get…

Just to be clear, I too would be interested in an 8" stake, slightly thicker than the 6" stake. A set of two 8" stakes and 4 to 6 6" stakes would probably be perfect for my current setup.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Mmmm, yes, thicker, :-)

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I think I would get a couple of the longer ones and probably 4-6 of each of the shorter. I would like to try the corkscrew in some of the sierra DG and see what happens.

Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

+1 for the 3.17mm x 8" Ti-eye stakes.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When people mention "thicker," they don't really demand thicker or heavier. I think what they are looking for is more durable, or less likely to bend. The Vargo shepherd's hooks are good, but something slightly longer and stronger would be nice if the weight is kept comparable.

–B.G.–

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I would be interested in 10 light corkscrew ones. Drop me a note at
    [email protected] about them when you get time.
    Thanks!
    jdm

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Looks great Lawson, really nice stakes. The screw in stake is a good idea, looks like it was fun to craft! Painting the ends = brilliant.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Like Bob said:
    "When people mention "thicker," they don't really demand thicker or heavier."

Yes, I've had the common ti-stakes bend on me. Thicker also means slightly better holding power as well.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I think the Corkscrews are unconventional. I'm not sure when/where to use them. I think others may be thinking the same. Might get a couple just to try them out though and it's a bonus if they work.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

The corkscrews are not suited for everyone and will not work in every situation. They are designed to work the best in semi-compacted soil. You know the soil your MSR ground hawgs dream about..

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I've seen many conditions where I'd have loved to be carrying some of those corkscrews.

They look great, put me down for 8.

:)

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

I'm in for:

8 Standard
    2 of the 8"
    4 of the corkscrew

Cheers,

Tyson

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice stakes….The corkscrew ones are very clever. I'd love to try a few….

Anonymous
    Inactive

What's the word on these? I tried to contact you several days ago and hadn't heard back?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Did you send me a PM or an Email?

The Ti-Eye have been made but I am waiting on the orange paint. The stuff I used on the prototypes was a sample and I talked to the sales guy yesterday and he was still working on getting me a gallon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I send a PM as I do not have your direct email, is it better to contact you by way of email?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools