Topic

Winter clothing options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Winter clothing options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I am taking a winter mountaineering class in a few weeks in the Adirondack. The culmination is a 4 day 3 night trip to bag a few peaks and gain winter camping confidence. Expected temps are 20-40F during the day and 0-20F at night. The VERY extreme could be apx. -20F. I am confident in my upper body layering but I am concerned about my lower body.

Right now I have:
    skin tight light weight thermals- worn always
    Wicker's Mid-weight thermals- worn always
    Wicker's Expedition weight thermals (similar to fleece pants)- worn at rest
    REI eVent shell pants- worn always on top

I am confident in the mid-weight thermals and eVent shell while moving. I tested that all last season in everything from rain, snow, down to mid 20's, high winds… It is good as long as I stay moving. My concern is at night should I have down pants to stay warm. Something along the lines of WM Flash or Flight pants.

My ideal layering would be:
    1. skin-tight light weight thermals- worn always
    2. Expedition weight thermals (I added side zips to regulate temperature)-worn always
    3. down pants- worn at rest
    4. eVent shell- worn always on top

This would save me weight (a few oz) and obviously make me more warm, BUT is it necessary. I have spent enough money in preparation for this trip and if I don't need to spend more I would be a happy camper.

Hoping for warm thoughts.

Thanks

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

not needed with what you currently have from 0-20F IMO

however insulated pants will be more comfortable at rest it its closer or below 0F, and if your bag is insufficient , will help out there

below that … id use em

i used R1 weight underwear, softshell/fleece pants, goretex pants, goretex gaiters below 0F ….. its fine for me as long as you dont just stand around

if yr in cold NE … just go do some try setting up yr tent and cooking on a stove outside at those temps to test out yr system

Tyler Hughes

@catsnack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

seems like a lot of clothing for those temperatures. I see temps like that for my normal winters, and I go hiking in running shorts, or maybe running shorts on top of 3/4 length tights if it is below 15 or 20. Of course I have a waterproof shell pant for deep snow and/or rain. I have never once wished I had extra insulation for my lower body, at rest or while sleeping, down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I guess I just never felt the need to have like 2 fleece layers + a shell and then some. I would probably get heat stroke and end up with frozen solid clothing.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

everyone is different … just do whatever works for you

at below 0F, add in windchill, and hours of exposed belaying

active is very different from inactive …

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

If this is the ADK Winter School, I would bring all of your options, and discuss what to take on the backpacking trip with the instructors.

As far as insulated pants, I would not take anything that did not have full-length zippers. You don't want to have to remove your boots or snowshoes to put the pants on or take them off at rest stops…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Depends???

Depends undergarments

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Depends???"

I'm holding out for the merino wool depends…..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't know. Eric suggested it.

It must be one of those Canadian things.

–B.G.–

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

bob … depends means that you retain all the warmth from your bodily functions … waste no heat

;)

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

LOLOL

You guys are too funny.

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

It does depend- how long will you be inactive during the day and how long will you be out of your sleeping bag while at camp?

I am going to be in the High Peaks for 4 days and 3 nights in about two weeks and am opting not to take any insulated pants… BUT, I might do so if traveling with a group. Groups (in my experience) tend to spend more time at rest and camp than I personally choose during winter outings. Thus, there is a greater likelihood for getting chilled. As John said, I would contact your program and ask for their recommendation as well as an itinerary for the trip- how long are the anticipated rest stops during the day?

My routine: I almost never stop for more than 10 minutes during the day- when I do, I wear my belay parka. If my schedule included cooked lunches or longer stops, insulated legwear would be welcome.

Once in camp, the process of stomping a snow platform, digging a trench, and setting up my floorless shelter creates a great deal of internal heat- I do not even wear my belay parka while setting up camp. Once set up for the night, I get inside and make dinner/water with my legs in my sleeping bag and wear my belay parka. Thus, I do not need insulated legwear. If I were to hang out with a group or stroll around an area doing light chores after dark, I might want them. However, your fleece pants should suffice.

Being that I would only use them in camp, I would not see the need for side zippers (if the day included long rest stops, I would). Thus, if you want a cheap pair of completely unfashionable insulated pants, these are an option:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USMC-Army-Military-Surplus-M65-Trouser-Pants-Liner-S-L-/400182525607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2cbcbea7#ht_2166wt_906

Mine weigh 10 ounces and are a bit warmer than 200 weight fleece- they might be lighter and/or warmer than your fleece pants. They reach about to midshin.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I sent them an email about a few gear questions, including the pants. I am afraid of their answer. I feel like it will be bring everything you own including the things you haven't bought yet. It is ADK winter school. I feel like I wouldn't need them but it is a big group and I don't know how long we will be stoping for or how long we go until at night. I have a concern that we will be pulling into camp with plenty of daylight left to set up camp, talk about things… have plenty of time to get chilly in the legs.

I am going to skip the pants and the 900 fp down depends that bob is talking about.

Thanks for the help.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

@Jeremy — I attended ADK winter school in 1981, but it looks like the format hasn't changed much (although we camped out more nights). Every night in camp, we would gather as a group and discuss the days events. We would also cook in small groups. I would say those were the times of lowest activity, and we had several nights below zero.

When practicing ice axe self arrests, there was also a fair amount of standing around. On trail breaks weren't too long.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools