Topic

Man rescued from fall at Glen Onoko Falls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Man rescued from fall at Glen Onoko Falls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

5 rescues from the same spot last summer and 4 fatalities since 77? … thats likely more than some climbing spots …

proper gear, technique or just bad luck for these accidents? … seems quite dangerous

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-glen-onoko-rescue-20101228,0,1707507.story

It had all the elements of disaster: a wintry chill, a steep and slippery trail, a 50-foot fall into icy waters.

But thanks to the quick thinking of a good Samaritan, a hiker who fell at Glen Onoko Falls near Jim Thorpe on Tuesday afternoon may very well look back on the accident with gratitude.

Hiking with a group of friends at the popular but treacherous trail, Jim Thorpe resident Robert Bilardo slipped on ice and slid about 50 feet into the creek below, hitting his head, friends said.

Friend Kris Cozad also slipped but avoided serious injury. Looking over, he saw his friend lying in the creek, a gash running across his head.

"I just screamed for help," Cozad said.

John Spanogle answered. Spanogle, an emergency medical technician at St. Luke's Hospital-Fountain Hill and also a nursing student, happened to be hiking along the falls with a group of friends. Hearing the cries, he climbed down to help, pulling Bilardo out of the creek with the help of two others.

Spanogle then cut Bilardo's clothes off, had a friend lie against him and piled on jackets, doing everything he could to keep the drenched man warm. Another friend called police around 2:30 p.m.

The first team of EMTs didn't take long to arrive, Cozad said. But there's no doubt in his mind it would have already been over for his friend if Spanogle hadn't climbed down to help.

"If it wasn't for him, I think he might have died," he said.

Spanogle was more modest.

"I knew what to do and I did it," he said. "Anyone could have done it."

Bilardo was eventually brought to the head of the trail by emergency responders shortly before 5 p.m. From there, he was flown to St. Luke's. A hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday night she had no information on Bilardo.

The rescue was made more risky by the rough terrain and cumbersome rescue equipment, Jim Thorpe Fire Department Chief Bill Diehm said.

He estimated it took more than an hour for the main rescue team to reach Bilardo — and that didn't include the difficult journey back, passing Bilardo's stretcher along the trail hand-over-hand.

But this type of rescue is old hat for Diehm. This summer, his crew performed five other rescues at the falls.

Glen Onoko Falls is on state game lands near Lehigh Gorge State Park. The falls begin as a mountain spring, eventually forming a stream between 10 and 20 feet wide, according to the Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor website.

As water cascades 875 feet down, it gushes over rocks and cliffs, forming several falls. The largest drop is about 75 feet, the website says. Even in the summer, the water is a chilly 55 degrees.

Glen Onoko has been the scene of many accidental falls as hikers traverse the steep 1.7-mile loop. Several of them were fatal.

In June 2009, an Allentown man was seriously injured when he fell 10 feet from a cliff along the trail into the water. Though it was only June, it was one of at least four rescues that year.

A 17-year-old fell to his death while hiking in 1999 — less than two weeks after another hiker was seriously injured in a fall.

In 1997, a 26-year-old Slatington man slipped and fell from a rocky ledge, another fatal accident. Four other hikers since 1977 have died in falls.

Hikers at the trail are greeted by a sign warning them that sections of the trail are steep and treacherous. The sign says hikers have been seriously injured and killed as a result of accidental falls from the trail and gorge overlooks.

"Hike at your own risk," a warning sign at the head of the trail reads.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

That gentleman was extremely fortunate to have that EMT there. The cold weather, getting completely soaked coupled with the head wound and possible general shock would have done him in.

And it looks like 6 fatalities since '77. They mentioned two, then said four others. Even worse!

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

That is one of the regional spots that I go to. I'll tell you that one of the biggest problems with this place (and probably most waterfalls) is the many off-trail routes right up to the falls and creek. In the summer its sketchy going off-trail, let alone in the winter.

I understand that some people really enjoy venturing off-trail/X-C, but it has a time and a place, and you need to know your limits and the risks. I sometimes think that the people who venture up to Glen Onoko know neither, and it is exacerbated by the easy access.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I went with a group on this trail in October, and my biggest concern was trying to keep some of our group from walking onto the top of the falls. They weren't experienced hikers, and simply misjudged how dangerous moving water can be. They wanted to look over the edge, with little regard for how slippery the situation was. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but that simply demonstrates how many "near incidents" there are. There is a large sign board at the approach to the trail that relates the deaths and injuries that have occurred here, but I'm sure "that won't happen to me" comes into play immediately after reading.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools