Topic

Samuel Gardner’s “All in Trek” Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Samuel Gardner’s “All in Trek” Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Samuel Gardner has posted the gear list for the first section of his upcoming 12,500+ mile "All In Trek".

http://www.theinitiativesite.com/713/

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Interesting read, but I'd be cold, wet, and my feet frozen, using that equipment in the winter in the Adirondacks. I think he's too light on the sleeping bag and pad. Plus, I'd want a better stove for melting snow, and something other than a bivy for shelter.

I hope he takes a look at some of Andy Skurka's gear lists, and makes some adjustments…

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, he probably needs a warmer bag, minimally. It can get -20 or colder sometimes in January. Sometimes the snows are so bad you cannot see if there is a trail or blaze marks. 4-5 days of food might be a bit thin, too. He might want 10 days if he sees a 4-5 day "hunker down" storm and needs to hike through some deep fresh snow.
    Plenty of wood around for a fire, though.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

What is his timing going to be for this trek?

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I do not think that he will have any issues with the cold. From his website: "Six months spent living outdoors in a snow cave during Northern Michigan’s legendary, brutal winters gave him a glimpse into just how tough he could be."

Sounds like a beast.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

That's pretty bad ass. I'm already cold just thinking about the first part of his trip.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Humans can adapt to amazing cold if their body get used to it.
    I remember when I was young adapting to working out doors in the winter and found that I needed less winter clothing the more I adapted.

I remember reading that the natives of Tierra Del Fuego didn't wear any clothes year round, including a captured European missionary.
    European explorers stumbled onto the naked natives and the captured missionary with snow collecting on their heads and shoulders during a blizzard.

I suspect they had insane circulation and ate a lot more calories than we do.

Len B
    BPL Member

@4eyedbuzzard

I'm guessing he isn't going to finish within one year like he wanted to. Or two years. Or even three. Current projected finish at Springer based on average progress to date: June 7, 2014.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools