Topic

Europa 05, Tarptent, or SD Flashlight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Europa 05, Tarptent, or SD Flashlight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Marion Watts Jr

@twigs

I am trying to trim down my pack weight. I hike with my wife, so I can’t go with a tarp. (She needs a floor :)) These are the three tents I have zeroed in on. Any comments or helpful info on these tents? We plan on doing a thru of the AT in a couple of years, so the tent has to be able to stand the rigors of monthes of bad weather. Will the lighter tents stand up? The SD is a classic, buts its the heaviest of the three… Any help will be greatly apperciated.

Ezra Johnson

@ezra3606

Europa. Great tent for size to weight ratio but and theres always a but you better bring a groundclouth or the water will seep in through the bottom and condensation is as would be expected with all single wall tents. I loved it but it certainly has negatives. But all tents freaken do.

Kim Skaarup

@skaarup

Locale: Cold, wet and windy Scandinavia

http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/acatalog/me-arultralite.jpg
    I have just ordered one of these new tent 2 skin 2 person 2 pound.!!
    I skall use it on my summer trekking with the child.
    I will order some fibraplex poles as im not using trekking poles.
    P. S. It is british so I dont know if its for sale in US.?
    Taken from from an article on
    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=2862&SP=&V=3
    —-
    Even Lighter

Finally, there’s also a lightweight two-man adventure race tent, the AR Ultralite which tips the scales at 950 grammes despite being two skin and, says ME, very roomy, so no more sleeping in your race partner’s armpit…

The design uses two trekking poles instead of conventional poles, though you’ll be able to buy conventional DAC poles as an option. You can also hang the tent between two trees using loops on the flysheet, which will save even more weight, unless you insist on carrying the trees with you.

It’s priced at £160 and should have adventure racers as well as lightweight bike campers and the like reaching for their credit cards…

For details of Mountain Equipment’s current range, see their web site.
    http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Tarptent all the way. Lightweight and plenty of room for two.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

TarpTent makes fine products. I don’t know about the designs that are new for this year but the Cloudburst is very nice with good interior volume and good vertical clearance right to the edge.

It’s definitely worth getting 2 extra stakes and short guy lines to tie out the midpoint of each side

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

The Tarptent Cloudburst with the floor has roll-up roll-down storm flaps which can be used for more extreme rain and weather conditions than the Tarptent Squall 2. At 40 oz with the extended floor and extended beak the Cloudburst weighs about 5 oz more than the new Squall 2. The Cloudburst is listed as the only 3+ season Tarptent (the others are only 3 season). You must use both poles included with the Cloudburst. The Squall would use the rear pole included with the Tent and one or 2 Trekking poles could be used in place of (and save 2 ounces) the included front Tent pole.

Backpacking Lights test of the Cloudburst and the older Squall suggest greater probability of condensation but with better rain protection for the Cloudburst. For East Coast weather conditions and for an extended period on the AT it may be the better choice of the two Tarptents for 2 people especially if the tent body is carried by 1 person and the poles and stakes are carried by the other.

Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Carefully evaluate the GoLite Hex or the similar Megalight. The HEx has a separate floor that can be split up and carried, and possibly even replaced with a lighter wt silnylon version. My preferred shleter package in all but those times of year when bugs are minimal but temps high enough to allow comfort outside of a tent has the Hex at its core. I also bring the BPL bivy and have purchased a hanging mosquitoe netting for bug time. The Hex may come in at a pound or so heavier than other items, but this is my pound of luxury and it makes for an incredibly comfortable time in camp, especially if there are two people, with one it is decadent

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

I would also consider looking into the Pyramid Tarp from Oware!
    It has the size and useful space advantage over HEX3. It’s 10×10 dimensions provide great interior space keeping you away from the walls. It is made out of silicone coated 1.1 oz. ripstop nylon and weights 28 oz. I have used the Oware product in both summer and winter storm conditions with no problems. Great workmanship too!
    Check out his web site:
    http://www.owareusa.com

Mathieu Fagnan
    Spectator

@mfagnan

What about a Stephenson 2R ?

I have owned one. It’s 2.75 pounds (real weight, complete) and indestructible, althought more expansive than your targeted tents. (it a survive Denali and Logan storm for me) The single wall end of the tent are a little prone to condensation but you can work it out. The side window option is supose to really help. This tent is HUGE. 3 people can easely sit in the front end. Also one thing to consider is that to stake the tent you just need 3 points. No guy lines, ropes etc. to mess with (and that people rarely include in their tent weight).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools