Topic

First bivy. Where to start?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First bivy. Where to start?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Bump

@willbump

I'm considering a bivy as my second MYOG sewing project. Any ideas on where to start/materials/designs etc.?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Check out Six Moon Designs – He offers a free pattern for the Meteor bivy.

As for materials: Sil or Cuben on the bottom, Momentum (from Thru-hiker) or 1.1 ripstop for the top, and noseeum if needed for bug protection.

Todd

William Bump

@willbump

Thanks! Also, any thoughts on ammount of fabrics?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

How tall are you? What do you weigh? What quilt/bag will you use inside? Do you want to store items inside w/you?

William Bump

@willbump

6' 160. Nothing inside and I think after this I'll try my hand at a quilt. I wouldn't mind some extra fabric but M50 is a bit pricey so if I decide to go that route I'de like to be close to what I'll use.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

The 1443R is comparable in weight to the silnylon. This is assuming you are trying to make a light weight rain spray or condensation control bivy. The Tyvek is breathable and pretty tough and light. You could conceivably make one without sewing by bonding the Tyvek with tape and/or glue.

I'm thinking of kludging one together as a simple condensation control/layer to keep my down bag dry in tarp conditions. It is also cheap at like $3.50/yd so it is an inexpensive experiment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools