Topic

GG Nightlight 3/4 to Folded Torso?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG Nightlight 3/4 to Folded Torso?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

So I have a 3/4 length Nightlight pad from Gossamer gear. My question for you all is can I convert the 3/4 lenght to the Torso length that will fold to fit in my Mariposa?

How would you go about cutting the folds? Duct tape? Only partial thickness cuts? If so how deep should they be?

Thanks All.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

So for clarification:

I have this:

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/nightlight-sleeping-pad-3-4.html

and want to find some way to convert it to this:

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/nightlight-sleeping-pad-torso-length.html

So that it will fit in the pad pocket of my Mariposa.

Any ideas? I'm thinking cutting and duct tape?

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Is the 3/4 length scored to be folded in sections?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Jace,

I have the exact same pad. I cut a few inches of length off mine so that when folded into 1/3rds would be wide enough to fit inside my ULA Ohm. Don't cut, score, or duct tape it, it's not worth it and will eventually leave you with a bunch of Nightlight pieces. I did a test on some scrap and tried heat scoring it, I then proceeded to fold and fold and fold on the scored line and eventually it just broke off. Just use it a bunch and it'll fold no problem without scoring.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

So, the GG 3/4 is NOT scored. In that case, it sounds like folding and cutting is, in fact, the way to go. He's right about the foam breaking into pieces if you score it. I seem to remember trying it with a thermarest years ago.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Correct. The GG Nightlight 3/4 sleeping pad is NOT scored, the GG Nightlight torso length sleeping pad IS scored. I only cut overall length off of my GG 3/4 Nightlight, the score test I did was on the scrap piece and it wasn't successful. GG must use a very precise scoring method on their pads to prevent ripping along the scored line. When I heat scored with a solder tip (very rudimentary I know) it basically created a perforation in the evazote and separated in minutes with repeat folding.

Jace, I'm 6' tall, and I cut the GG 3/4 pad length down so that the end of the pad terminated a few inches below my buttocks… so it's like a 2/3 body length pad vs. a 3/4 length pad. When I fold that into 1/3rds it works very well as a framesheet, any longer and the segments would be too wide to work very well for me.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Another option would be to cut a 10" wide piece off the end of you Nightlight, and use that in the pad pocket (equivalent to a SitLight pad). You could then attach the remaining length of pad on the outside of your Mariposa…

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

I basically did what Eugene did with my Thermarest. First, though, I looked at it and decided what length I wanted it to be as a torso length; which, for me was to the bottom of my butt cheek. YMMV. I made a little tick mark with a sharpie. Then, without cutting it, I folded it into 1/3s and 1/4s (again YMMV)and held it over the pad pocket of my pack. If I were using inside my pack and not the pocket, I suppose I'd fold it into 1/3s or make a cylinder out of it. The number of folds might also depend on which pack and which pad you're using as well as the width of the pad pocket. I think it was a GG Murmur pack the first time I did it. I did the same with my recently acquired ULA Conduit. Once the folds were even, I marked where I wanted to make my cut. I came to within about an inch or so of the length I wanted it to be as a torso length pad. The inch one way or another didn't make a difference in the comfort. I pretty much got what I wanted and I've always been happy with it. It probably took about 10 minutes give or take. Again, however, I've only done it with a Termarest.

BTW I'm 5' 9 1/2"

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, you can carefully match the bumbs, cut and duct tape it back together.pad
    jdm

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools