Topic

Merry Christmas… So, What’d Ya Get?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Merry Christmas… So, What’d Ya Get?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Hughes

@catsnack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

" I started riding late in life, so I don't harbor any illustions about what kind of gear I need (unlike backpacking!). I found a deal on a demo 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 3. I wanted a triple, because I'm doing a ride in Durango in May. It should work for what I do."

Still a good bike! Not everybody needs or even wants the top end "racing" bikes, because their geometry was sure not designed with comfort in mind. I hope you enjoy it and get many years of good use from your new toy!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Despite my talk, I'm sure Ultegra or Dura Ace components will start popping up on it soon. And a wheelset.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tons of hardware…to repaint the interior of our home, install new electrical sockets, that sort of thing. Not a single lick of backpacking gear, or anything else for that matter. But I did manage to entice my brother-in-law into helping me with a few things…the promise of Northwest microbrews was too much for him to pass up.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I got a Photon LED light and a Cocoon UL Air-Core pillow. Everyone is in good health and had a happy day together, which is priceless and weighs nothing :)

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

I got a Sawyer water filter kit. Now trying to figure out how to put together a lightweight gravity filter.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I got Ford, my oldest, a new daypack. The REI Trail 25. For The Husband I got him Microspikes.
    I bought for me and the baby: Baby got a new down bunting from REI in the next size up. Now there is a UL piece of down! I also got an Ergo Carrier in the newish Performance model that is 1/3 less in weight (not that it was ever a heavy carrier for babies! Compared to a framed pack it is air….)

As for me…I didn't get any outdoor gear. The Husband bought me Sapphire earrings to finish my collection :-)

B. F.
    BPL Member

@bradly

WM Summerlite Long
    Evolv Defy VTR Rock Shoes
    Marmot Zeus Down
    REI Organic Merino Wool Light Hiking Mini Crew Socks
    Wigwam Cool-Lite Hiker Pro Quarter Socks
    Columbia Omni-Dry Mountain Tech T-Shirt
    ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
    SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Water Purifier
    Light My Fire Spork
    Fishing License w/ Clam Stamp and Lobster Card

It was a good year :)

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

@ David L. LUCKY! Thats sweet

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I bought my self
    Singer 401a slant-o-matic sewing machine( hope to sew MYOG this year, got this for a steal at $70.00)
    WM Alder bag
    Salomon Tundra boots
    Silk liner socks
    Cloud Burst 2 Tarptent
    Golite Reed pants
    Bike rollers (for my Giant Defy so I can ride inside when there's bad weather)
    My kids also got me gift cards to buy more gear, can never have to much gear.
    Happy Holidays everyone.

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

A pair of MSR Lightning Axis 25" snowshoes and flotation tails
    Patagonia Alpine Guide jacket and pants for day snowshoe outings

I'm now currently coveting that awesome Tap Cap belt!

Aaron Powell

@twp1224

Locale: West Coast

Montbell U.L. Down inner
    Golite Jam

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Ridgerest Solar
    8 SMC snow stakes
    NRS Hydroskin wetsocks
    SMartwool PHD Ultralight Ski socks

….and best of all, another appointment with my favorite tattoo artist.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

"Kevin, been thinking about that knife too. Let us know how it works out."

It is a simple device and there are reviews online (check YouTube) that can go into far more detail than I could. I'm not a knife nut but I wanted something to replace my old Gerber mini that I lost when I forgot to take it off my key-chain when going on a trip. Security made me either pitch it or mail it back and we were borderline going to miss our flight so it went in the garbage.

It is better than the Gerber in terms of ergonomics. The build quality is excellent and it is a bright yellow so I can find it in low-light conditions. It is supposed to have better steel but as I said… I'm not a knife nut. The Gerber worked for me for nearly a decade without ever the need to sharpen so I anticipate the Spyderco to do the same. The steel is supposed to be "rust-proof". Of the two the Spyderco is better built, more high-tech steel, and has much better ergonomics (it fits in your hand nice for such a small blade) and at 0.6oz fits my "low-weight" standard.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Osprey varient 37L

Camp Nanotech Ice axe/walking stick.

Northern Lites Elite Snow shoes

Snow claw

Spot 2

NF lite glove

Montane North Star down coat

K-Bar Necker becker Knife

Box of hand warmers

Box of toe warmers

Gerber folding saw

Couple of water bottles

All kinds of little stuff to make a SL survival and med kit.

Yeah it was a good year for me!

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

I got my first quilt, a Jacks R better Shenandoah quilt and like a few of you with fine fine taste, I also got some mighty fine ales! I love Pale Ale and got some BrewDog Punk IPA from Scotland, some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from California and some Meantime Pale Ale from London: yummy!

But I do feel for you Todd, that is a sad tale.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

New flicklock trekking poles from Outdoor Products

Merino wool "Buff"

Waterproof insulated gloves from Academy

Pants, shirts and a 6'r of St. Arnold's Christmas Ale from my loving wife.

@ Joe G.
    Love the buckle! ;-)

@ Jack E.
    I'm looking for an oldie but goodie sewing machine myself. Nice find!

@ Pat W.
    So was that a 90 days same as cash arrangement or a 15 year mortgage for all that gear? ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

A $50 REI gift card with which I bought an 18 liter Granite Gear Cuben Fiber dry sack.

And a bunch of unimportant non-hiking stuff.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

A really good haul for you guys. It is nice to have that really special someone…
    My wife decided we couldn't really afford much this year, soo she promised to sew me up a new shelter after I finalized the design. I think there is 25-30 yards of 1.4oz silnylon in the closet… I think THIS is a major haul, too. Not something you can buy…

My condolences on the dog, Todd. Remember her well.

Santa brought my eldest daughter a solo canoe he hadn't quite finished. His other daughter got a new bathroom earlier this year, just after she had his grandson.

Mrs Clause also got the grandson for a week! She is really happy with her gift! My wife is really an old sentimental fuddy duddy… 'Corse, I would never help with a BABY! I find it hard to believe she wants the squirmy, loud, trouble maker around.
    Rug Rat! He is pretty much useless at camp. If I could just teach him how to walk, instead of drool and say whaaa…. Excess bagage in my book. I even have to carry HIM to and from a good camp site! We got him a special life vest for next spring, anyway. Easier to paddle him… Bahhh…humbug… ;-) Mrs Clause also got some money for her beads and such. She really likes her beads.

(Santa's granson really is a nice gift. Again, not one you can buy…great for the old folk.)

Hike on!
    jdm

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Santa was very nice to me!:

Snow Peak 900TI pot
    Marmot Scree SoftShell Pants (super stretchy comfortable pants, my new sunday football watching pants)
    OR Transcendent Down Hoody
    Excaliber 3900 Dehydrator!

Overall a great christmas! Hope everyone else had a nice relaxing one as well!

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

Sweet guys-
    Merry christmas all
    -MB tachyon
    -MLD pro poncho tarp
    -Buff – merino wool
    -Kookabay pillow
    And all sorts of other goodness, but those would interest BPL…

Oh, and a growler of imperial stout

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Happy Holidays

lots of good hauls posted :)

outdoor related goods for me

MSR 2.4 liter ti pot
    Smartwool LW bottoms
    Swiss Army Alox Farmer (been wanting one of these for awhile)
    $50 gift card to Starbucks- going to be stocking up on Via!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Mike, if you are planning to stock up on Via, be sure to ask for a discount if you buy a box of six of the 12-packs. My gal gives me 10% off when I do that.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thanks :) I signed up on their online shop and they sent me a 10% coupon for my first order, they sell a 50 pack of singles online

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

I didn't do bad this year either. I got a Ridgerest Solar and a Backcountry ti pot and spork combo.

Kyle Dickerson

@kyledickerson

Got my first Tenkara rod! I'm stoked!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools