Topic

Merry Christmas… So, What’d Ya Get?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Merry Christmas… So, What’d Ya Get?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Best piece of multi-purpose gear ever!

belt_buckle

Bison Designs Tap Cap

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I did well this year.

I snagged a Trailstar, a 2010 Jam, and a Fenix LD10.

My wife got a Pentax K7. :)

Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

Locale: Greater LA area

I have about 250 to spend at REI through the combination of a few things. Any ideas at to what I should get?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

What I didn't get were the BPL gift cards that were on sale 10 days ago. Did anyone else order them, and did you receive them yet?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

nice Joe~!
    i got a year "subscription" to a beer club, 3 PNW and Cali craft beers every other month, in wine sized bottles. all beers are rated "A" or higher on BeerAdvocate.com

also, a warbonnet traveler to enjoy it in. ;)

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Spyderco Ladybug Salt

I have a dozen books, a coat (non-backpacking) and a Spyderco Ladybug Salt with the serrated edge. The scale is at the office but the specs say 0.6oz. It is sharp enough to do an appendectomy if needed.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Extra love from my puppy since I got to spend the whole day with her! Nothing better than that!

.casey in bed

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Ms. Claus was good to me this year- a ThermaWrap Parka and pants, Icebreaker 200 baselayers, some Bear Grylls Craghoppers Survival Pants (preliminary impression is surprisingly good)…..and best of all, 2 1/2 days starting tomorrow to go off by myself and test the new gear :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

WM Mitylite

FF Down Booties

SP 450 Mug

WM Cloudrest Pillow

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Old School G4
    Innov8 310s
    Sea to Summit 2.5 oz day pack AND the best gift of all…

My 11 y.o. lab, Sunni (on the left), was so sick she almost died last week. Took her to a second vet and she's now wagging her tail, demanding longer outings and barking again. We're not fully out of the woods yet, but so, SO much better than the last 2 weeks. In fact, it looks like she's going to make it.Sunni and Abigail

Raul Perez

@watermonkey

Santa got me a macbook pro 15" laptop!

david hensley

@aliasdave

GL Ultra 20 quilt

And 200$ that I want to buy a used 8×10 or 6×8 tarp!

and countless socks and underwear!!

Merry X-mas everyone!

Tyler Hughes

@catsnack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Kendall- so glad to hear your dog is doing better!

sounds like all of you got some pretty sweet stuff! lol I didn't get anything at all, but I have saved up maybe $600 over the past year to spend on gear. Going to the REI garage sale on Jan 1, so I hope to pick up a tent and sleeping pad (insulated and cushy) and a tent (REI Quarter Dome T2), and still have enough left over to order the Feathered Friends Hooded Helios I have been drooling over. Maybe before spring I can grab some gore-tex gaiters and water-resistant pants to complete my winter gear.

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Thanks Tyler. I by Gifts for myself every year. It still counts. You got $600 as a gift to spend on gear. Congratulations! :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

6'er of Founders Breakfast Stout
    6'er of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
    6'er of Bell's Kalamazoo Stout

and some other things…

Leatherman Style CS
    Patagonia Los Lobos jacket
    Exped Air Pillow
    Tenkara Bum level lines
    A dozen or so flies

The best thing wasn't what I received, rather my kids both received their first sleeping bags for backyard sleepouts and maybe a local overnight trip this summer, they're 2 and 3 so I'll break them in gently.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Garmin: find the trailhead on a dark highway.
    Gorillapod: better group pictures.
    Bombay Sapphire: smells nice.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Mrs. Santa got me a carbon road bike. She just doesn't know it yet. As a matter of fact, she may never know it."What? Honey, I've had that for years……"

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Kendall,

I'm so glad to hear your baby is better! That's a great present.

Not trying to put a damper on things – and please don't let this change the happy mood of this thread. I just wanted to share with you all…..

My girl (dog), a 16 yr-old mutt (Australian sheppard mix) and faithful companion for that long, KAYLA, was not so fortunate. She was the picture of health and high-activity until a couple months ago, when her kidneys failed from old age.

She lost over a third of her body weight (and all her muscle mass). Dr. said muscles wouldn't come back at that age. We changed her to a near-zero protein diet and loved on her since then. She began falling a lot and I worried more & more that she might hurt herself. A few days ago we all (me, my wife, and 3 girls) decided it was THAT time. (getting choked up thinking about her)

I came home from work early and we fed her ham (her favorite, something she hadn't tasted since her diagnosis!) and the girls took turns hugging her (as did I). Then my wife & I took her to the vet for her last car ride.

She went peacefully…I knelt beside the table, looked at her eye-to-eye the whole time. She was a great pup!

Spent today with my wife and girls (and later w/about 15 family members). One of my girls gave me a framed pic with Kayla! Nice day. Even picked up a Tilley and a few other things.

We did the right thing, but I sure miss her!

Kendall: keep loving your pups and hug 'em for me! Thanks for the pic!

Todd

Tyler Hughes

@catsnack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Joe: What bike specifically did you get? I am a huge cycling guy, and love to check out new stuff!

Todd: I am so sorry for your loss! From the sounds of it, you gave your puppy the best life she could have ever asked for, and I know she enjoyed all of her time with you. She is not suffering anymore, so be happy for that, and cherish the time you had. Best of wishes

-Tyler

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Todd,

I am SO sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathies. You and yours will be in my prayers this Christmas season.

Sincerely,

Kendall

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Kevin, been thinking about that knife too. Let us know how it works out.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Kendall, I'm glad to hear your report of your companion doing better. Just makes the Christmas season more wonderful. A lot of pet lovers here on BPL.

Todd, I'm very sorry to learn of your loss. But I'm encouraged by your humane and human touch and your family's understanding. Hopefully Christmas' to come will remind you and your family of all the good years you spent together. Long live our loving animal companions (truly family members they are).

Almost forgot, I got:

Montbell EXL
    Ultraship 75 scale
    REI Button Front Shirt
    Platypus 3L Hoser
    Time with family and friends and my three birds (what more could a guy ask for?)

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Super psyched about the GG Mariposa I got, I also got a lot of practical stuff for my trip to Vermont in February.

I also got an Adventure 16 gift card that I will try to use to lighten my pack (not sure how effective it will be, I tend to like the cottage guys).

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Kookabay Downmat,

and a few bucks for REI…..

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

@ Tyler – I started riding late in life, so I don't harbor any illustions about what kind of gear I need (unlike backpacking!). I found a deal on a demo 2010 Giant Defy Advanced 3. I wanted a triple, because I'm doing a ride in Durango in May. It should work for what I do.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools