Topic

Anyone own a Eddie Bauer Peak XV

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone own a Eddie Bauer Peak XV

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

On a previous thread I was asking folk for down parka recomendations and the Peak XV
    was poined out to me.

As I based in Europe I don't have the option to try one on in a local store so I was wondering do any folk on here have any experiences with it.

Thanks,

Stephen

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I bought one for the wife to replace her old parka that had worn out. She likes it, and it keeps her quite warm. Overall, I've been very happy with the First Ascent gear I've gotten.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi,

Are the inside pockets big enough for a 1 litre water bottle.

Thanks,

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

[sigh] Sorry, false alarm. I just checked the parka, and it's the Mountain Guide Hooded Down Parka, not the Peak XV.

Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Locale: West Virginia

There is only a single pocket on the inside of my Peak XV and it's too small for a water bottle.

Val C

@goosebumps

The person at Whittaker Mountaineering said the inner pocket WILL hold a 32 oz water bottle but probably NOT fit a bottle w/insulator. More info — [email protected]

Let it snow!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Guys :-)

Thats a shame it doesnt have big inside pockets.

:-)

Val C

@goosebumps

The one on the website DOES have a bottle pocket and will hold a 32 oz nalgene.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

If it helps, I can probably swing by the local EB store next week and check out the parka.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

There are 2 generations of the Peak XV. I have the first generation, which is slightly lighter, but only has 1 internal zippered pocket which will def. not fit a 32 oz bottle. The newer generation peak xv, which is being sold in stores right now, MAY have a water bottle pocket (i haven't checked myself, but based on what other peeps are saying, I bet it does) and is a bit heavier because it has added reinforcement panels to high abrasion areas.

I remember distinctively missing my water bottle pocket when I picked up my first generation peak xv

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Don,

Thanks for the offer of checking that out, I will drop Bauers customer service an email after the holidays.

Hi folks,

Thanks all for the replies.

Cheers,

Stepehn

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

FWIW, many items on First Ascent's website are sold out, or at least sold out in most sizes. This includes the two warmest down parkas.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Don, they must be popular :-)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

EB FA … all the womens rain jackets are gone at my nearest store … having them go for 87$ or so plus an addtional 30% off prob helps

down jackets are still around … prob more a reflection of the warmer temps in vancouver where you dont need a big down puffy

i had to resist real hard the frontpoint shells which were $100 off + take an additional 30%

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

"i had to resist real hard the frontpoint shells which were $100 off + take an additional 30%"

Don't resist, it's a great jacket. :-)

It's become my favorite winter shell.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I already got 5 softshells jackets don … 3 of em dead birdies

must resist ….. Arrrrrrrrggf

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

Just checked the EB store, they did have a few jackets left, and yes, the interior pockets look like they would hold a liter water bottle.

Simas Peciura

@pechius

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, just found this to be more appropriate place to ask.

I've found a review on Amazon about this jacket which is saying that the first model had more down than the current does, so I started to wonder if it's true. I've found down fill weight mentioned few times on this forum and the number was 13oz. This is from posts in 2010, like this one:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40893

This is the amazon review:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R39IS4CDDYDQ1X/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0049C8YL2&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=1036592&store=apparel

These are the numbers for current model that I receiver from Eddie Bauer customer service:
    Size Small – 10.08 ounces

Size Medium – 10.5 ounces

Size Large – 11.07 ounces

Size X-Large – 11.7 ounces

I've read many wonderful reviews about this jacket, but if they reduce down, I don't think that is the same good jacket anymore.

Any comments? Maybe someone can clearly state that this jacket was 13oz in 2010?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

don't let the absence of a pocket deter you from the jacket. you can take it to any local dry cleaner and ask them to sew on a simple pocket to your specific dimensions.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

"I've read many wonderful reviews about this jacket, but if they reduce down, I don't think that is the same good jacket anymore."

Disagree with that statement. I challenge you to find a Down Jacket with 10oz of 850 down fill at the price you can typically pick up an EB Peak XV for when they have their 20% off deals.

The other significant point about the EB Peak XV jacket is that it's a mountaineers jacket. What I mean by that is the exterior material is very tough and not like the ultra thin/light material that won't standup to much abuse (like the Patagonia Fitz Roy).

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Note, my jacket is an original PeakXV from the first season it was release…the lining could have changed since then. My jacket only has a small napolean style stretch pocket that will not fit anything more than a wallet or a couple bars, etc.

Josh,

I had thought about adding a pocket, but it's not an easy task. The lining is extremely light (feels like a 15d fabric) and considering the weight of a full nalgene bottle…you'd risk tearing open a large panel in the jacket if that bottle bounced. Also, the jacket is fully baffled, so I wouldn't trust a local laundry to start dissecting the jacket…not a lot of tailors deal with down, and even less with fully baffled garments. I've looked it over many times, and it would be pretty complex and involve reinforcing the 15d lining by placing heavier material behind (either through the hand warmer pocket, or by removing the lining, adding a reinforcing fabric panel, and then re attaching. There are a few other options, but none that I could pursue with absolute faith in that the jacket will retain structural integrity.

Sorry OP, I have no means of verifying the original down fill content…I believe I saw a post on BPL stating that someone called customer service, and those were the published numbers.

Maybe Richard can post a new clo rating for the newest version of the jacket?

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

never thought the inside would be so delicate. i assumed the inside was on the rugged side to match the exterior. could a cylinder be sew into the guard behind the zipper?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

That was something I was wondering…I guess you could sew a cylinder to the material behind the zipper (which is the same rugged exterior fabric), but the bottle position would be almost directly in front of you. Not sure how well that would work. I've learned to just use exterior insulated waterbottle pocket. But yeah, im not sure if this is even an issue anymore, since other poster mentioned that the new XVs have a bottle pocket.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

touche'

Robin T

@robban

At full retail price i would add $30 and get a Mountain-Equipment K7 Jacket instead.
    Its box-wall construction with 11.6oz of down in size L vs 11oz for the Peak XV jacket.
    The total weight of the K7 jacket is only 27oz vs 38oz for the Peak XV Jacket. So about the same warmth but 11oz lighter.

Here is a video review of the K7 Jacket:

YouTube video

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools