Topic

Heat molding foam/neoprene

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Heat molding foam/neoprene

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I would like some input on what insulating material is conducive to heat forming around another object. Lets say I want to make a seamless cylinder of insulating CCF or neoprene. Is there a material that I could heat with a heat gun or in an oven for a little while that would render it flexible and stretchy enough to stretch over a die without losing its shape when it cooled?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Both Plastazote and Evazote are used in vacuum forming applications. So yes, you can heat it up and form it but I am not sure how well it will work with just a heat gun or placing it in an oven and then trying to stretch it over something. However, a while back when I was looking into forming plastazote I came across a guy who had done it by heating the material in an oven, placing it overtop of the form, and then he had made a piece of wood with the outer profile of the form cut into it which he used to "draw" the foam over. I can't remember how well it turned out, but if it's all you got then you could give it a try.

The stuff does melt so you will have to find the sweet spot for forming.

I made my gas canister cozy using plastazote and a vacuum forming machine.

http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD8%20Canister%20Cozy.html

Let us know if/how it works out for you.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There is foam that you spray out of a can and it expands to fill the space

For house insulation. Like to seal air leaks around pipes or whatever

Maybe you could make a mold and fill it with the foam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools