Topic

Fabric & Insulation for Jacket & Pants ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric & Insulation for Jacket & Pants ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

Hi,

My next MYOG project will be a synthetic insulated jacket and pants for winter use in temperatures around freezing. I like the Green Pepper Men's Fairbanks Pullover pattern (PDF file). I'm just not sure which synthetic insulation to use.

If I had to prioritize requirements for such a jacket and pants, they would be:
    1.) warmth: similar to down
    2.) durability: high loft retention, long lasting
    3.) weight: lightweight category

Similar jackets that I like are the:
    – Thru-hiker.com Kennebec Pullover Kit: uses Climashield XP, Climashield Combat, or Primaloft Sport
    BPL Cocoon Insulated Hoody: uses "a burly, synthetic insulation"

I have experience using Climashield Combat in a quilt but I'm concerned about its long-term durability when used for clothing.

For the shell/lining, I was thinking some flavor of a breathable, water resistant fabric.

Thanks for the advice :-)

Nick

Research I've done so far:
    insulation @ seattlefabrics
    insulation @ questoutfitters
    insulation @ outdoor wilderness fabrics

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I made a pullover and pants using polargaurd 3D, which is no longer available, and 1.1 oz ripstop fabric. From what I have read, the Climashield insulations are directly descended from the polarguard line, and my experience with various generations of Polarguard, both in my own use and having worked in mountain shops selling them, has been that they hold up fairly well – on the relative scale of synthetic insulations. I have not used any Priamloft, so cannot speak to that.
    As to fabrics, unless you expect to be in pretty wet conditions and aren't planning on taking a shel jacket, i would skip the WP/B type fabrics and just keep it really light. The 1.1 oz ripstop I used is very wind resistant and has worked just great, at a light weight and low cost. If you want to spend a few more bucks you can get .9 oz fabrics that will perform just as well and be a little lighter.
    One little detail – I did not quilt my insulation at all, it is just edge stabilized, and the has worked pretty well. I do notice some litle bit of shifting in the pants after a few years, but it is very minor. If you do decide to quilt your insulation, I would do it just to the lining fabric nad have the shell unquilted for a little bit more warmth.

dale stuart
    Spectator

@onetwolaugh

Locale: Pacific NW

You might check out this site and see what worked for him.

http://ultraliteskunkworks.blogspot.com/2007/01/insulated-chaps-arm-or-legs.html

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

Paul and Dale, I really appreciate the advice and information. Thanks for taking the time. Back to the drawing board!

Nick

Edit:
    If using Primaloft 1 for this project, is it necessary to quilt the insulation to the shell and liner fabrics? Or, can the insulation just be edge stabilized?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools