Topic

Options for 25″ Wide Sleeping Pads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Options for 25″ Wide Sleeping Pads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I would like to find a sleeping pad that is 25" wide. Are there any options that are reasonably "lightweight" and will compact pretty small. I currently use a Big Anges Insulated Air Core that weigths about 22 oz.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

neo air size large

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

neo air size large +1 Mine weighs 17.4 oz.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

x3. They make a great lounge if you are willing to carry the extra 18 oz for the lounge kit.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

Or, if you want something good past freezing, get a Large-sized Prolite Plus. I have one, and I never want to go back to a 20" wide pad. I used it a couple weekends ago along with a full-length layer of 3/8" CCF very comfortably in verified -20F temps. I slept like a baby, though that could have been due more to the Shocking Blue…

Tyler Hughes

@catsnack

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Exped DownMat 7 Deluxe Air Pad – has 2.8 inches thickness, R-value of 5.9, 26" wide, 77.5 inches long, 6 x 12 stuff size, and just a hair over DOUBLE the weight of the NeoAir (ouch). 1150 grams (40.5 oz) versus the NeoAir's lean 540g (19 oz). For super-cold places or a lot of extra comfort, the DownMat may or may not be for you.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

For most 3-season I agree with the NeoAir. But for cold I dumped the Exped and went to Kooka Bay. My big 24 x 75 inch down pad weighs 27 oz.

He can make one as wide as you like.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

For what it is worth, I really like the Prolite Plus. The Prolite Plus provides great support, width and warmth for taller and wider campers.

Here is another option that rarely gets mentioned… http://www.backcountryedge.com/pacific_outdoor_equipment-ether-thermo-9-long.aspx
    What I like about this pad is that the two chambers on the sides of the mattress are larger in diameter than the middle chambers, thus cradling the sleeper to ensure you don't roll off in the middle of the night.

I have had a great experience with both, but they aren't the lightest options out there. Sleeping pads are one place I am willing to splurge with regards to weight.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

My experience has been that the narrower pads don't work for me as I tend to shift off of the pads and end up with part of my body contacting the cold ground and end up getting getting cold.
    It may be from my lack of experience, but I find that a 25" pad keeps me warmer.

Another point is that the wider pad, in theory, helps keep me from having issues with scorpion stings in places where scorpions are an issue in a bivy.

I'd love to hear otherwise before my next desert hike?

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

Here is a cut and paste from an email from bender where I asked the same question.

he can make you almost any kind of pad you want, and as you can see his r9 pads are almost half the weight of the exped but more expensive.

I opted for both the r9 for winter and the boxed non insulated for summer.

The R4 Synthetic is almost 2x the R value of the neoair. If you want something with less weight than a neoair a 78x24x2.5" would be 18.4 oz without insulation. This would use box construction instead of sealed through to get rid of cold spots and save weight. This allows a tougher 70d outer shell and light weight material inside. You can see the attachment to see the difference. FYI all insulated air mats I make use the box construction and custom uninsulated air mats can go either way. The air mats on the website are all sealed through. For further weight reduction a mummy shape can be used.

Rectangular 78x24x2.5" Box construction 18.4 oz $169
    Mummy 78x24x2.5" Box construction 16 oz $169

Rectangular 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 30.8 oz $219
    Mummy 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 27.1 oz $209

Rectangular 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 30.8 oz $219
    Mummy 78x24x2.5" R9 Goose Down 27.1 oz $209

These two below would be using the absolute finest 900fp down from Thruhiker. R9 is extremely warm! For comparrison an Exped Downmat 9 (listed as R8) weighs half a pound more, is 4" narrower and 6" shorter. The only thing they have me beat on is price, but the raw materials cost more than the Exped.

Rectangular 78x24x3.5" R9 Goose Down 28.2 oz $279
    Mummy 78x24x3.5" R9 Goose Down 24.8 oz $269

J M

@hmr3d

Please check you PMs!

Thank you (please excuse the interruption)

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I currently use a neoair (short version) for my backpacking trips.

I'm looking for a full lenght, wider sleeping pad (24-25" wide would be nice) for shorter trips (or for base-camp/ day-tripping destinations) when comfort is more important to me than pack weight, so I'm reviving this thread. Does anyone have a current link for this company (mentioned earlier in the thread)?
    http://www.backcountryedge.com/pacific_outdoor_equipment-ether-thermo-9-long.aspx

For this type of camping trip it would also be nice to find a pad that isn't noisy. I'm not planning to use this for cold-weather camping, so it doesn't have to be super well insulated.

Anyone have any suggestions?

L H

@lrh442

For colder temps, NeoAir X-Therm Long: 20 ounces, 5.7 R-value, 25: iwde x 77" long.
    I don't own one, but I expect to remedy that shortly.

Jake S

@spags

I have a klymit inertia xwave. It is comfy and light but uninsulated.

For shoulder season, I pair it with a 1/8" pad from Lawson equipment that I cut down to torso length. I haven't actually used this pairing in cold weather yet, but I expect it to be about as warm as a ridgerest.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

I have a neoair xl and my (at least one) elbows hang off the mat. I usually put my shoes right where my elbows will lay so they don't hang uncomfortably.Very inexpensive and multi use. If they are wet I'll cover them with something. I got that idea from this site a long time ago.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.
    Wolf’s Rain
    BPL Member

@wolfsrain

"For colder temps, NeoAir X-Therm Long: 20 ounces, 5.7 R-value, 25: iwde x 77" long."

Just in case some people don't know, the NeoAir Xtherms (and maybe all NeoAirs?) measure out quite a bit less than their stated width. It is more like 23" wide. This isn't a problem for me and I find them super comfortable. For this reason though it is worth testing one out first due to their tapered design and slightly less than stated dimensions.

Expeds Downmat UL series are much wider and do not taper at the bottom. If you're looking for what amounts to virtually a packable bed than this is more like it.

Expeds have vertical baffles and NeoAirs have horizontal. It is pretty much personal preference as to which one is better because I've heard opinions on both sides.

I owned a large / wide Downmat UL and returned it and bought the large Xtherm. I much prefer the tapered design as its easier to manage under a tarp, its significantly lighter, and at least as comfortable.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Like the POE Thermo 9 I previously mentioned (years ago!) the REI Stratus offers a long wide version with "side rails" that cradle the sleeper and prevent roll off. The REI Stratus, combined with a Large Exped UL Air pillow works well for me. I wrap the pillow in my fleece shirt for added comfort.

I still have the POE 9, but I was able to save about half a pound by switching to the REI Stratus. The REI Stratus is a pretty good deal too.

http://www.rei.com/product/870758/rei-stratus-insulated-air-sleeping-pad
    http://www.rei.com/product/847128/exped-air-pillow-ul

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I rarely see this mattress mentioned. It is 78" x 26" and weighs in at 24oz. That means it is a 4oz penalty when compared to the Exped UL 7W.

However, the Airmat is $55 cheaper and has a 5-year warranty compared to a 2-year warranty with the UL 7W.

I can rationalize getting the Airmat 5W vs. the UL 7W.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Different insulation.
    The 21oz Synmat ULW 7 is rated at R3.1 (25f)
    The 24oz Airmat Light 5LW is rated R1.7 (41f)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    ”V” (CzechClown)
    BPL Member

@czechclown

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

It drives me ABSOLUTELY nuts that I can't get a regular length pad with the 25 inch width in a neo air. I cannot understand why they won't make one. The only reasoning I can come up with is that nobody makes a wide enough 2 person tent? Maybe they just know most 2 person tents are less than than the 50ish inches necessary to fit two next to eachother??

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

You said you wanted light. Cut it down from 32" original shape. Use w light additional pad if needing slight addl cushion. All these suggestions so far seem to be a bit heavy. Wght depends on how much you cut down but pads are already light.

A manufacturer should make a wider 3/4 length pad please. Like a thin, light Thermarest for ideal comfort vs weight. May be worth it for them as people may purchase for use on shorter explorations.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Now the R value has been increased the Trekker Torso looks quite promising to me. Not super light but probably tough enough not to need a 1/8 inch foam mat under it, so save a few oz there.

I currently use a Klymit X Wave when it's warm. Only got a couple of nights on it so far but I have found it very comfortable. When it's colder I have one of Bender's old mats – with some synth in it. It's only 9oz and really warm, but it's just too narrow for me. I have decided that a decent nights sleep is well worth a few extra grams to me, so I am going to give the Trekker a go. The days when I could just sleep like a log on a thin bit of foam re unfortunately behind me now:).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools