Topic

Cooking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Cooking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Hey guys (gender neutral)

I am looking for ways to lighten my cooking system to >1/4lb. I am also at the same time trying to find a setup that will work for the AT (solo). Right now I think I am at ~6.75 oz.

What I have:

BPL 550SUL pot 1.25oz
    Caldera Cone 1oz
    Trail Designs Stove .5oz
    SnowPeak Spork (change for BPL spoon when they are in stock) .5oz
    CC Caddy (need to find a solution) 2.5oz
    Fuel Bottle .5 oz
    Lighter .5oz

What can I do to lighten this setup up?

Big things that I feel need work:
    Caddy
    Spoon

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have the 550 with handles and a caldera cone. I cut off a Gatorade bottle to use with the pot to act as a caddy.It is .85oz
    caddy

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

This is my middle size bag cook rig and weighs 4.5 oz as shown without the fuel bottle.
    If you could come up with a lighter outer container/caddy for protection and to
    use as a cup it would save more weight. I think the outer container weighs about 1.5 – 2 oz.

Photobucket

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Here's my kit. I don't use a caldera cone though:

Snow Peak 600: 2.7oz (78g)
    DIY Gram Weenie Stove: .3oz (10g)
    DIY Pot Lid: .1oz (4g)
    Cut down S2S Ti Spork: .2oz (7g)– Cut this down to save weight and to fit in SP600
    1/2 Light Load Towel: .2oz (6g)
    Mini Bic: .3oz (11g)
    Zpacks Cuben stuff sack: 0oz (2g)
    4 fl oz fuel bottle: .7oz (22g)

TOTAL: 5.3oz (140g)– If you put the grams into a metric converter to ounces the weight in ounces comes out to be 4.9oz.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I just use the Caldera F. I use the caddy with a DIY cozy as my coffee cup. I'm a coffee freak and the top of the caddy is used as a lid keeping my cup of joe warm while I lounge. I can drink my coffee while heating another 2 cups of water for my meal. They also make good snow scoopers if you are melting snow.

Caldera Stove 0.5oz
    Caldera Cone 1.3oz
    Fosters Can + Lid 1.1oz
    Caddy 3.1oz
    Spoon 0.3oz
    Bic 0.4oz
    Cozy 0.2oz
    Small Syringe + filling cup 0.3oz

Total 7.2oz

Which fuel bottle I take depends on the trip. The little 4-5oz bottle is 0.7oz and the bigger 12oz bottle is 1.3oz.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

Troy,

Can you tell us more about that cut-down Fosters can in your photo? It looks like an interesting project.

Michael

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

I had a BPL long handled spoon which was 12g. I switched it out for a Sea to Summit alphaware spoon which is the exact same dimensions but aluminum instead of titanium. The S2S spoon is 10g. It is the lightest long handled spoon I have found.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I just transitioned from a Monatauk Gnat canister settup to a modified Glen Van Peski Caldera Keg – F. 3.5 oz total:

Stove: Gramcracker esbit stove and reflector: 0.2 oz
    Windscreen: Caldera Cone: 1.1 oz
    Cookpot & mug: Fosters can: 0.9 oz
    Lid: Fosters lid: 0.2 oz
    Pot holder/warmer: Caldera cozy: 0.2 oz
    GSI foon: 0.2 oz
    Lighter: Mini bic (about 1/2 full): 0.3 oz
    MYOG 0.51 oz/sqyd cuben stuff sack: 0.1 oz

This all adds up to 3.2 oz based on the individual weights, but when weighed all together it comes to 3.5 oz. . .

cookset

kitchen

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

>>Troy, Can you tell us more about that cut-down Fosters can in your photo? It looks like an interesting project. Michael

I like the shorter version better because when bag cooking you can sit the bag of food into the short country time lemonade (or koolaid) container, fold over the edges and put the top on.

With the short container you also dont need a spork with a mile long handle. I think the koolaid container weighs about 1.5-2oz but it can handle boiling water like for tea and its crush proof.

They also make a tall CTL container that will take a full ht fosters can, IE 24 oz.

The fosters can is just cut down and epoxied. It is barely tall enough that it will fit in the koolaid container. Holds about 18oz. You have to stretch out the top over a spare can. The top that is in the picture is actually a heiniken can top.

It has a bail top on it that folds down and locks into place when up.
    Just another option and good if you want to hang it over a fire. It is coated with silicone, but does not help with heat that much.

The rest of it is pretty self explanatory. From left to right, pot, Koolaid container, pot support, alcohol cup and cozy wrap, 1/2 Libman microfiber dish cloth from publix, BPL spork, top of container, Foil windscreen with paper clip.

They used to sell a really small version that will hold a cut off 12 oz soda can and was good for a small emergency kits and the like. I bought one but now apparently they dont sell that any more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools