Topic

Trying to decide on a quilt…need advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trying to decide on a quilt…need advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

BTW for what it's worth, the most recent Cyano style quilt I finished was stuffed to 3.25-3.5" loft (~10deg) with a small draft collar at the top and weighed only 18.5oz. Admittedly it was for a smaller user, so was only 65" long (sewn footbox obviously).

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"…none of them are sufficient."

Well, maybe…

QuiltDraftTube4
    …until you've tried this.
    Draft tubes ahead of shock cord.

…dern effective.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I won't argue with that Greg. ;)

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

+ 1 for Katabatic.

I don't have experience with any other quilts but I've been very happy with my Katabatic Sawatch so far. I've slept in it down to the low 20s with just a pair of thin silk long johns + top and thin liner socks on a neo air and was plenty comfortable. I do admit I tend to run very warm though.

The attachment system worked well for me and allowed a snug, draft-free set-up. I toss and turn a lot and the quilt works a lot better for me than any of my mummy bags ever did. I love how the quilt and pad stay put while I roll from my side to back, back to stomach, etc.

For reference, I'm 5'10" and about 200#.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

+1 for;

>>the issue most people have with tucking is because their quilts are too narrow in the first place, and they aren't designed to place insulation and material where it's needed.<<

I think I have added the grosgrain loops and shockcord to any quilt that I have made out of sheer habit.

The thought has crossed my mind recently that if they are sized right and have a sufficient amount of material they can be self tucking.

For example I will describe my tuck and roll method of quilt "donning".

Using the drawstring style footbox, insert your feet into the footbox and while sitting up close the snap closure at the top of the quilt. While still sitting up put the opening over your head and adjust the drawstring closure as you like it. Put your arms inside, lie back and gently "roll" side to side once or twice. Your top quilt is now magically self tucked. If your quilt is properly sized it will stay that way unless you roll onto your side or go all "fetal position". ;-)

The trick is to properly size the circumference of the quilt around the shoulders, hips and waist area. The length of the quilt is the second element. If it is too long there won't be enough "tension" on the material to aid in tucking it underneath your body as you roll side to side.

I hope this explanation/description is clear and understandable.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools