Topic

Bomber waterproof fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bomber waterproof fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Locale: Kirby Muxloe

Hi,
    I'm looking to make some overshoes for cycling and I'm wondering if any one knows of a fabric that's totally waterproof (doesn't need to breathable, there's plenty of ventilation already) and very abrasion resistant? All the overshoes on the market either leak, wear out too quickly or don't fit so I'm going to make my own (or try at least).
    Weight isn't a problem either as I'll be using them mainly for commuting and the more they weigh the fitter I'll get.
    Cheers,
    Matt

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Dimension Polyant family of fabrics are waterproof to something like 200 psi, and the thicker versions (VX 21 and 42) are pretty durable. Problem is that they're also very stiff, and getting them to bend into bootie shape might be tough.

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Good call Dave,
    Only trouble is the only place I've found it it's 65 Euros per meter! I might email some sail makes to see if they have any off cuts they can sell me.
    Thanks for your help,
    Matt

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Dim Poly will sell direct. Contact them and they will send you a price list.

Also, if you want it to be completely waterproof you will have to make sure that any seams can be taped, something that Dim Poly won't be able to confirm and may require experimentation.

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

I was looking at the wrong item on the website as I didn't read the previous posts very carefully; I've ordered some so fingers crossed it's what I was thinking of, sounds perfect though.
    Thanks again,
    Matt

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

What about neoprene? If weight is not an issue this seems like a good choice. I commute through the winter and am reasonably happy with my neoprene booties. Sidetrack makes some inexpensive ones and Pearl Izumi makes some good quality ones. What are you looking to do differently from these?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Heat-welded PVC-coated nylon. Available from OWFINC etc.

Cheers

Jim York

@jimbawb

Locale: PNW

I know they're not MYOG, but for $40…

Performance Bike Neoprene Booties. Rubber soled, cut diagrams in the bottom for if you wear clipless…keep my toes warm into the 20s no problem with a light wool sock. Mine are about 4-5 years old, so I hope they are still as well made as they used to be.

EDIT: Ugh….looks like they got rid of the rubber sole…that was probably the main thing they had going for them…

Jim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools