Topic

My gear list for long expedition use.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My gear list for long expedition use.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Harald Six

@harald

Hey,
    I'm Harald, I live in Belgium and I'm new here. I'm planning an expedition called Eco Expedition Eurasia, which will take me 2 to 3 years to finish. It will take me from Belgium to Portugal and then to Singapore.
    If you want to know more about it please visit the site here: http://ecoexpeditioneurasia.wordpress.com/the-route/

There you can see the route, the team members, etc.

Now, I've been spending some money on some gear lately and so far have gotten all this:

SLEEPING:
    Bivi bag: Terra Nova Titan (675gr)
    Sleeping bag:Alpkit Pipedream 800 (1150gr)
    Multimat Summit foam (300gr)
    Terra Nova Tarp (188gr)
    Black Diamond Trail poles (528gr, poles are used for tarp set up, that's why it's under SLEEPING)

HYDRATION:
    Katadyn Pocket water filter (550gr)
    Platypus hoser 3L (109gr)

EATING:
    Alpkit titanium spork (17gr)
    At the moment have a Trangia cook system but am looking into a new set so suggestions are welcome

OTHER:
    Alpkit Airlok 13L drybag (42gr)
    Petzl Tika XP2 + core battery (83gr, still have to buy these but am quite sure I won't change my mind)
    Leatherman Wave (241gr, I know, it's heavy!)
    Small MSR Packtowel (15gr)

At the moment I have a quechua backpack but will need a BIG one for the expedition, was looking into Klattermusen Mjolner but am searching lighter once or maybe even a cart to pull.

Suggestions for anything at all, even the route I'll take on my expedition are more then welcome ;)

Thanks,
    Harald

PS: is there anyone who has experience with trekking with heavier loads using barefoot shoes?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Sleeping bag:Alpkit Pipedream 800 (1150gr)
    Rather heavy …

> HYDRATION:
    > Katadyn Pocket water filter (550gr)
    > Platypus hoser 3L (109gr)
    You can lose a bit of weight here. The easy one is the Platypus: replace with some PET soft drink bottles – the 1.25 L sort. They last a LONG time, and are basically free.
    The Katadyn Pocket filter is very heavy and old technology, and does not handle the viruses which you will meet in Asia. I would replace that either with a Steripen Adventurer Opti (which can handles everything) or possibly a Sawyer PointZeroTwo filter. I know, use and trust the Steripen. I haven't used the Sawyer.

> Trangia cook system
    Rather heavy! Ti pot and GSI plastic bowl.

> Alpkit titanium spork (17gr)
    Opinions vary. Me, I take a small Victorinox knife with the tip ground off and a GSI plastic spoon. Sporks do not work for me.

> Leatherman Wave (241gr, I know, it's heavy!)
    Machismo. I have never carried one.

Cheers

Martin Schroeder

@mephistopheles

Ultralight and long term dont go well together…

I wrote you guys a mail, but besides that:

Dont take anything made of plastic. I read that you'll be biking and canoeing parts of the tour. When i cycled through africa i had to bushcraft/improvise lots of stuff on the bike that broke, because it was plastic. The bottleholder, speedometer holder, buckles…

Seriously, dont take plastic cuttlery with you. I also carry a leatherman, the surge. I had it with me hiking and never used it, while a constantly used it while on the bike. So take it at least for the bike part. Also Park Tool and Topeak make small, lightweight biketools.

For the sleeping bags: -17° ? I know you have some rough weather, but i'd rather take 2 smaller sleeping bags with me. One synthetic (outer shell) and another downbag (inner shell) That way you can modulate the insulation, use a lighter one in summer and both in winter/colder nights. They also dry a lot faster, because they are half the size and the insulations of the outer one works when wet.

Wet… Invest in good waterproof bags. Raincover for backpacks wont do it. Use Drybags, my personal favourite is Ortlieb. Certainly not Light, but durable. I used one pair for all my trips, and they are still good. Just keep the downbags dry, the rest is not as important.

Eating: I carry a selfbuild alcoholstove. Before that i used a MSR Multifuel, worked perfectly, but weighted 700 gramms more. The alcohol is a bit more expensive then gasoline, but you also get it everywere and the stove itself is cheaper and weights only 15gr. and if it breaks, you just need 2 cans and your leatherman ;) I use a pennystove. Just google it and you'll find descriptions on how to build one.

Sleeping: Foammats are good, no problem with holes… I carry inflatable mats and have to fix about 1 hole every 3 months of use.

Biketires: Schwalbe Marathon Plus. But guess you heard that name already. I used one pair from Germany to Kenia and the second from Kenia to Capetown. Only 7 flat tires. I met people doing 15000km with one pair. Well worth the investment.

Towel: Just use a Buff.

Clothing: For long use I'd take Merinowool. Also heavier then synthetics it's much more comfortable (personal reference), it wont smell (you can literally wear it for a month without washing) and the insulation works better. Still, just personal reference and most people agree on disagreeing about wool vs synthetics.

Barefoot walking i did one month in India with a 35l 12-15kg backpack. Barefoot as in no shoes at all, just for the heck of it because some indians are doing it as well. The feet get used to it, no problem with the knees or anything. BUT you will get cuts and bruises and since india is supremely dirty they got infected and whatnot. I really dont recommend walking without shoes. Just think of camelspiders/scorpions in your middle-eastern part ;) I also had a pair of Nike Free once, but they didnt survive long. But that seems to be the case in every ultralight trailshoe. They are designed to do 500-1000km and then you need new ones.

Bagpack: Golite packs seem to survive rather well, considering Andrew Skruka carries one. But no personal experience.

Route: Look at my email :)

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Being American, I have no idea what most of those European products are. I would consider most of my us thru hiking gear to be pretty suitable for your trip though. As for a cook kit, I would consider something that burns alcohol and wood. The evernew isn't very good, perhaps consider the caldera cone ti-tri. Have a great trip!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Whoops I see now that this is an old thread. He is now cycling, not walking….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools