Topic

Swamp Fox Passage for New Year’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Swamp Fox Passage for New Year’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Craig Brooks

@craigb

Looking for a partner to hike the Swamp Fox Passage of the Palmetto Trail (SC) around New Year's. Dates a little flexible. Great trail for beginning hiker-Flat as table!

Alan Greene

@alan3

I've lived in the Charleston area for about a year now and have only had the chance to day hike a short section of the trail. I've been wanting to do the entire trail since. I'm not sure how flexible you are with dates but I will be out of the country until the 8th, my schedule is pretty flexible after that.

-Alan
    [email protected]

Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

Hey guys, nice to see other Charlestonians on here. The wife and I hiked about 20 miles (10 out and back) of the Swamp Fox last year. It was a nice intro for her and nice to stretch my legs in this flat land. The only caution I have for you is that much of the trail (like 80%) was under water in May. Had to hop on and off the poorly kept wooden platforms in some areas and in others just had to walk through it. Should be less of a problem in January, but I would make sure to call the forestry service to get a report. Too bad I'll be out of town around New Years.

-Josh

Craig Brooks

@craigb

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately my dates aren't flexible enough to roll to the 8th. I've found a friend to hike it New Year's weekend. I'll definitely call the USFS for an update before I drive down.

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I live in Myrtle Beach and travel to Charleston frequently. I have been thinking checking out the Palmetto Trail for a short day hike. I would love to see some pictures when you get back.

Craig Brooks

@craigb

Will do. I've never hiked the Swamp Fox as a trail, but we used to run field training exercises in that area when I was in college.

Kristin Zeaser-Sydow

@learnext

R. & I hiked from Halfway Creek Camp at the intersection of Steed Creek Rd. & Halfway Creek Rd. East for a couple of miles. Gorgeous! Aside from a few wet spots in the area of the Carolina Bays along the tail, it was mostly dry. The only discouraging sight was the GARBAGE piled up at Halfway Creek Camp. There wasn't anyone there but some hunters who were running their dogs. They assured us that there was no hunting allowed on that side of the road– not sure why they run their dogs their but we never saw them.

We intend to go back to try out our new backpacks on this flat terrain later in January, weather permitting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools