Topic

Dri Ducks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dri Ducks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

Locale: NorCal

Alright, so I need new rain gear and posts on here (and the fact that they are are so cheap) have convinced me to try Dri Ducks. Unfortunately, the website has three different versions, with no weights listed. What am I looking at? Any recommendations?

DriDucks® Dura-Lite3™ Rain Suit $44.95
    When your sunny day turns into a deluge, reach for DriDucks® and stay dry and comfortable. Thanks to the patented tri-laminate micro-porous fabric and high-tech ultrasonic seams, DriDucks keeps the water off, the wind out, and the comfort in – all at a price that makes staying dry a bargain…

DriDucks® Trail-Pac2™ Rain Suit $29.95
    The DriDucks Trail-Pac2â„¢ rain suit is the ultimate packable solution for thru-hikers, ultralight backpackers and campers. Trail-proven and 100% waterproof and breathable, this suit will keep you protected from wind and rain without slowing you down.

DriDucks® Ultra-Lite2™ Rain Suit $19.95
    The DriDucks® suits are constructed from an ultralight waterproof, breathable, non-woven polypropylene construction. The patented bi-laminate technology with "welded" waterproof seams and unmatched sweat-free breathability is a great value in affordable rain wear.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I may be wrong but what I think we all refer to when we talk about dryducks is the ultralight 2. Thats what I have at least. Plus its the cheepest!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Jace,

Keeereckt! It is the Cheeeeepest! ;-)

A few pennies under $15.00 at the Sportman's Guide and 12 ounces total for the tops and bottoms together.

Mine is the final top layer in my cold weather clothing system.

Layered from inside out; Terramar synthetic long leg boxer style briefs, merino wool base layer tops and bottoms, convertible hiking shorts/pants, SS polyester T shirt, LS polyester shirt with zip up high neck, DriDucks tops and bottoms and mechanic's style synthetic gloves if it turns really cold.

Party On,

Newton

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes, the 19.95 ones. Btw, they run large and fit somewhat baggy. I normally wear a medium rain jacket (like a Patagonia Rain Shadow) and I bought a medium Dri Ducks. I would be tempted to get a small, which I think would still have room for base and insulation layers. The only issue might be sleeve length.

Also, I haven't used the pants, but on another thread, Mike Clelland suggested cutting and gluing (with fabric glue) the pants to make a cheap rain skirt.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

I've been using Dri-Ducks for three seasons now. I've use the Ultralight 2 adn the Thru-Hiker variety as well as the TriLaminate variety. The user must realize the lesser expensive options are also much less durable. The Ultralight 2 are not for me. They can be ripped just by pulling on them with a bit too much pressure. I go for the Thru-Hker varitey and they last a lot longer. They are not indestructible but they are much more resistant. All that said, all Dri-Ducks rain suits need to be treated with care. They breathe well, are light and relatively inexpensive.

Good hiking!

Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

So, then

1) How do I size it? I am 5'11 and 155 lbs. Am I a small? That sounds dangerous for something I might layer underneath.

2) What is the weights of the three jackets? If the two heavier options are only slightly heavier, but much more durable, I might consider that.

Thanks!

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

If you're looking to layer the staypuff marshmallow jacket under it, go with medium, otherwise, if you're looking for normal sizing, go with small. These are decidedly *NOT* athletic fit.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My size small Driducks jacket is cut bigger than my Medium Marmot Essence or Large Integral Designs eVent Jacket. I am 6'0" 165.

Rob Lambert
    Spectator

@roblambert

Locale: Ozarks

So the forecast says there is an 80% chance of rain and low temps (30's) for your upcoming 3 day trip. If you have used Dri-Ducks in the past, are you comfortable taking them as your rain/wind gear ?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I purchased a set in 2007 to walk the JMT.

They've been my primary rain wear since then.

They have a few small holes now, all sealed fine with duct tape.

With care, they last a long time, I'll still get a couple years out of them. Just understand what sort of terrain they don't work in.
    Don't expect them to last if bushwhacking, scrambling, hiking off trail, etc.
    But for trail walking/open areas, they can't be beat. I think they breathe far better than my ArcTeryx Paclight winter/climbing shell.

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

Does anybody know what the weight is on the material used in driducks? I read about somebody making a bivy out of a poncho. Just curious how this material would stack up against others out there.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Just for another sizing viewpoint since these things to run quite large. I'm just over 6' and weigh 150lbs. The small fits me fine – plenty big in the body and just a tad short on the sleeves but not enough that I'd want the mediums. I only use the jacket and it weighs in at 5.3oz, which includes a visor I added (made from plastic from a milk jug). As others have noted, they are a bit fragile but if you're staying on trail and aware that you need to be careful with them they last just fine. I would not recommend them for any kind of bushwacking. I combo the jacket with a pair of seam-sealed tyvek pants which weigh 2.5oz. Works pretty well for me and I like the < 8oz weight.

Oh yeah, and the ones I'm talking about are the cheapest – Ultralight 2. I ordered mine here. $17.99 and free shipping.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I am 5'11" 165. Dri Ducks Medium have plenty of room. Wearing it now over a shirt and sweater and it runs a good 7-8" below my waist (Just lower than crotch) which is nice. I like the length getting the drip line low. They are easy to tear, but blue duct tape patches look good, too. I think I'll be converting the pants to shorts. A skirt of cuben fiber would work, too.

Randall Spratt

@genreviam

Locale: Minnesota

Rob, I have been using Dri-Ducks for a while now, and had a chance to put them to the test last year (trip report).

On a 2 day trip on the Superior Hiking Trail, with temps in the 40's, windy and almost constant rain for the two days, and my Dri Ducks were up for the challenge. They earned their place in my pack. I used them this year on the JMT and will use them next year on a JMT thru hike as well.

Dri Ducks on the SHT

In this photo, I am wearing a size large, and it is cut pretty roomy.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

>> Does anybody know what the weight is on the material used in driducks?

Mine weighs about 10 oz.
    Its about 3.5 yds of matl so if you deduct an ounce or two for snaps, hood, storage bag etc that would work out to about 2-2.5 ounces per yard

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Wayne, from all my research, DriDucks are a great deal. I've read many good things and also had a BPLer recommend them as well. I live in SoCal and venture out in the three seasons. Here, the only reason my rain jacket ever comes out is because I'm using it to heat-trap over the top of my insulation layer. In six outings this year, I've not had it out to actually protect me from rain. So for me, its a really easy decision. I don't bushwack and I'm pretty easy on my gear, so the less-than-bulletproof DriDucks fit the bill. I am gonna finally get around to purchasing a pair since I've made up my mind. Most everyone suggests that you get a size smaller because they run big (and even so, you still have plenty of room to layer). I've read multiple times that they weigh around 11 oz. for a size Large for the pair. My current Marmot rain jacket weighs more than that. I've also read a size Medium is 9.1 oz. So, by extrapolation, a size Small, which I'm getting, should be around 7-8 oz. (UPDATE – Turned out to be 9.0 oz.) Even at 9 oz., that's a weight savings of 14 oz for me over my current gear. For $15, that's a smokin' deal IMO. I've noticed good deals on DriDucks at Amazon and also in this thread. If someone buys in with you (you get two pair), you get free shipping at Amazon. Sweet.

Rob Lambert
    Spectator

@roblambert

Locale: Ozarks

Thanks, Randall, for your reply. Two days of near-constant rain and 40-50 mph winds sounds like an adequate test of Dri-ducks' waterproofness !

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

making the pants into a rain skirt is a great idea :) I'd think the pants would be much more susceptible to damage- a skirt would reduce that quite a bit (including the bend over and rip scenario that many have mentioned)

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Affordable for bringing the kids too. I don't go out and buy $200 jackets for the kids but $18 is perfectly doable.

Wayne Wagner

@wagnerw

Man, I love this forum. Thanks, y'all! This is much more information than I anticipated. I even like the idea of shortening the legs, but we'll have to see when they get here.

I appreciate your help.

Wayne

Brian Senez
    BPL Member

@bsenez

Locale: Alaskan

I purchased two driduck poncho's. A 36"x36" square of the material weighs exactly 56g or 1.97oz per yard. I am currently making a hooded jacket that will fit properly. I predict a finished weight of 4oz. I will post pictures when I complete the project.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Weight from my small:

Jacket 5.6oz
    Pants 3.7oz

Bert Blanchard
    BPL Member

@bertmail

Locale: Southeast

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,3326P_Frogg-Toggs-Driducks-Trail-Pac-Rain-Suit-For-Men.html
    No small available, though.
    I just ordered a medium, with the extra 20% off they come to $15.16
    I also got a super-light Alps Mountaineering sleeping pad for $8.95 less 20%.

Merry Christmas.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

I paid $18 shipped for mine then turned around and ordered some X-mas presents from Sierra Trading Post on that 20% free shipping special!

Oh well… these are a bargain even if I replace them yearly.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I purchased a size Small about two weeks ago from Gearlessmachine ($15.05 postage paid). They finally came today. I got the Khaki color and they look great (I guess!). You can tell they are quit breathable and I like that. The Jacket = 5.3 oz. and Pants = 3.7 oz. So, 9.0 oz. total. My extrapolated weight estimated above is wrong and I've changed it. My other rain gear is: Jacket = 13.8 oz. and Pants = 9.2 oz. Admittedly, they are more bullet proof. But as I said earlier, I rarely get this stuff out of the pack. Would not go without it though. So the DD are a great alternative and saved me 14 oz. over my other gear! Basically a pound. And they are a tenth the $$ of my old set up. EDIT: I wanted to also mention I am about 5'9-10", 145 lbs. and a 32" waist/40ish" chest. The size Small fits good and I will be able to layer under if necessary, but they aren't too big if not layered under. Good fit for me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools