Topic

Umbrellas – which one

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Umbrellas – which one

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Chiappa
    BPL Member

@chiappaj

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I’m thinking of trying an umbrella for backpacking. The “standard” seems to be the Golite Dome but does anyone have experience with others? (MontBell has a couple)

Thanks

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Umbrellas are great but shockingly easy to pulverize. Until you get some experience I’d recommend buying a very inexpensive one.

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

I have the GoLite Dome but I have never had to use it yet. I chose the Dome over Montbell’s lighter, small umbrellas because it can be used as a tarp support if you can’t find a decent stick (I don’t use trekking poles). It’s probably a little sturdier too.

Michael Kirby
    BPL Member

@strider518

Locale: Whatcom County

There are lighter weight umbrellas at stores like Ross’s dress for less, for example. Some of this telescope shut and are quite compact. They are somewhat flimsy and a stiff wind would ruin them. I had a Golite umbrella for awhile, but I thought it was too big when collpased and too heavy. I eventually lost it on a trip and do not plan to replace it. I used an umbrella for shade, as I do not hike in the rain.
    I am going to try a desert type hat on my next trip.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I’ve brought a couple at the local supermarket and modified them “a la Jardine”. My daughter and I have used them for a couple of years now and they have both been repaired several times but still work OK. I agree w/ the poster who said that you should buy a cheap one first, modify it if you want, and use it at will.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools