Topic

Montbell EX Light (5.7 oz.) vs. Arc’teryx Atom LT Jacket (11 oz.)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell EX Light (5.7 oz.) vs. Arc’teryx Atom LT Jacket (11 oz.)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you'll find many of us stating that our windshirts are the most versatile piece of kit we own- yes you can hike in them- some breath better than others though, also some shed moisture better than others, so keep that in mind when choosing

I'd suggest getting one w/ a hood, the added versatility is worth the small weight penalty imo

my personal choice is the Houdini (from Patagonia)- comes w/ a hood, breathes extremely well and the DWR finish is excellent- in the mountain west I often only carry the Houdini- size large is 4.1 oz

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Warren … I suggest using what you have now … You can try usingbyr dri ducks as a windshirt as well if it gets windy

then decide if you need more gear

dont be like me and have closets full of gear … And no moola for the more important things in life …. Like beer!!!

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

The Montbell Tachyon Anorak just got favorable reviews here on the site. Weight: 2.3 oz and is 20% off at ProliteGear Right now.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Mike, thanks for your pick. Good info there. All the things I want (breathble, OK under pack, etc).

Eric, I gotcha there! $$ is harder to come by these days. The button-front shirt I mentioned was borrowed gear and is now returned to its rightful owner. So, I need a l/s shirt that is good in sun, bugs, and maybe to keep a bit of cold off me. I have found that a l/s button-front garment really helped in the bugs. Much better than a l/s tee. And being a bit blousy, read big, it was cool to wear (literally) and the proboscusus' of those man-eater mosquitos couldn't get at me. Worth its weight in gold.

Thanks again. Researching and learning. It's all fun and I'm doing as the old boy scout motto encourages, be prepared.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

It would match my EXL jacket. Thanks Rob. Will it breath when I'm wearing it in the sun to protect myself from the rays? I'm in SoCal where its mostly warm or warmer. Need this layer to be cool. I'm wondering if a wind shirt can do that?

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I do not own one myself, but intend to in the near future. In the full article that I linked at the bottom he goes into detail about ideal uses. It seems the writer reserves the windshirt for Cloudy, Windy, or Cool days.

Here is a quote from the review:

"The Tachyon completely blocks the wind and breathes well enough to stay comfortable, most of the time. However, when the breeze stops and the sun comes out, the anorak gets too warm and I have to take it off."

And here is the full article:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/montbell_tachyon_anorak_dynamo_wind_pants.html

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

I appreciate your copying that excerpt for me. I just found this awesome reposistory of all things backpacking a few weeks ago. Had seen it before, but thought it was just an internet store and didn't catch on to the forums and other benefits. Now I realize I do need to become a member. And your thoughfulness is inspiring me to do just that. I've enjoyed allot of thoughtful input from many around here. BPL rocks.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"what shirt is that you have anyway"

I have two hiking t-shirts:
    – GoLite DriMove Silk Tee (1.9oz, not silk it's polyester, no longer available)
    GoLite Wildwood 1/4 Zip Run Tee (2.8oz)

Both shirts are very light polyester shirts that dry extremely quickly which I highly value. I can wash these shirts in a stream, wring them out and put them back on and they are totally dry in under an hour. I did a test once in my house and wearing it inside with no activity or wind it was dry in 40 minutes as verified by a scale (ie. it was back to it's pre-soaking weight). Most shirts take this long in the dryer. On hot sunny days these shirts can dry in 20 min. They also wring out so well, they almost feel dry when I put them back on.

When going as light/simple as I can, I just bring one hiking shirt and I wash it daily and immediately wring it out and put it back on. This works well as long as the weather isn't really cold and/or wet. On most trips though I bring both shirts (wear one, pack one) so I can put a dry shirt on each evening and I've got a full 24 hours to get the other shirt dry which is normally very easy to do. This method also lets me avoid doing laundry if I'm just hiking for one night.

One advantage with using the lightest, thinnest short sleeve hiking shirt in combination with a windshirt is that you have a wider range of comfort compared to just carrying one long sleeve hiking shirt. You can use just the t-shirt on hot days, both when it's cool or just the windshirt when it's hot but the bugs are out. Most windshirts breathe quite well since they are really just thin nylon shirts (the ex-officio is probably nylon too). I would guess that a 15D nylon windshirt would be cooler than the ex-officio but I'm simply speculating. So to finally answer your question, yes I think a light t-shirt + windshirt combo will do a better job than just the Ex-officio due to being more versatile and easier to dry.

Since you rarely use a rain jacket, the DriDucks sound like a good option. They are light, cheap and work well. I use a more expensive rain jacket because I tend to spend quite a bit of time in it and I like something that fits a little better.

BTW, GoLite has a 40% off sale right now plus free shipping, so you could get their Dakota Windshirt (4oz) for $48 instead of $80 and one or two of those light hiking tees for ~$25-$30 ea. See the 'Gear Deals' section of this site for the coupon code for this sale.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Dan, I do the same as you. I just wear the one s/s shirt and wash it in the evening along with myself. The shirt dries over night and maybe sooner if I do it early enuogh and I wear my l/s sleeve shirt until I can get back in the s/s. I imagine that the windshirt would fulfill the same purpose. I looked at your gear list last night and noticed the GoLite articles. I'll go have a look over at GoLite. I really like 40% off too! My primary two hiking s/s shirts are 5 oz. each and chopping that in half would be great.

Do you think the Dakota is mostly the same as the Montbell Tachyon piece that is on sale? The Montbell is a bit lighter but also $73 on sale now. I could get a Dakota and a s/s shirt for around that price.

Also, just found this one another thread. http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?s=1&p=AM1119 I know its currently out of stock, but lighter weight and on the wallet too.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Montbell makes several nice windshirts that make deciding a tough choice. Basically you've got:

Tachyon Anorak – 7D Nylon, Hood, Pull-over, Drawcord hem & hood – 2.3oz
    UL Wind Jacket – 15D Nylon, No Hood, Full Zip, Elastic Hem, Shoulder Pkt – 2.6oz
    UL Wind Parka – 15D Nylon, Hood, Full Zip, Elastic Hem, Shoulder Pkt – 3.3oz

The Tachyon Anorak is the lightest, but I opted for the UL Wind Jacket because I get a bit more durability and a full zip for just 0.3oz more. I rarely use hoods. If you do want a hood, then it's basically a question of if you want to add 1oz in exchange for a little more durability and a full zip.

GoLite's doesn't list the denier of their Dakota windshirt but they do list the nylon at 48g/m2 which is 1.44oz/yd2. I believe Montbell's 7D nylon is roughly 0.75oz/yd. Most likely the Dakota uses 30D nylon. If this is true, then this option breaks down like this:

Dakota Windshirt – 30D Nylon, No Hood, Pull-Over, Stows in Pkt, 3.6oz

Your preference of fabric denier (durability vs. lightweight and cooler) is likely what should determine the ideal windshirt for you. The GoLite one is a bit heavier mainly because it uses 30D nylon. 30D nylon is still pretty lightweight and it's considerably more durable than 7D or 15D. If you're going to be bushwacking or sitting around sparking fires then the 30D is a good choice. If you're mostly concerned about not getting too warm on hot days, then a Montbell one is likely the way to go. For comparison, most sleeping bags use 30D for their shells.

I personally suggest buying whatever option you think will suit your hiking best (as opposed to deciding based on price). I wouldn't buy the GoLite one just because it's a bit cheaper if it's not what you really think is best. The price difference isn't that big….40% off of $80 is $48 (GoLite) and the Montbell ones at 20% off are $59-$71.

EDIT: Regarding that GoLite wisp windshirt. GoLite's website rounds to the ounce, so to really get an accurate weight you need to look at the grams and convert to ounces. So the Wisp is really 3.2oz and the Dakota is 3.6oz. I think these shirts are basically the same but the Wisp is the older version. GoLite recently changed a lot of their stuff to use recycled fabrics which are slightly heavier. The extra 0.4oz of the Dakota is likely due to the recycled fabrics and because the zipper is longer. If you can find a Wisp then go for it, but GoLite probably won't be making them anymore since I believe the Dakota has replaced it.

Too bad the price went up from $50 to $80. Maybe have a look online at some other retailers that sell GoLite. Perhaps one of them has it in stock. Even full price is basically the same as the Dakota at 40% off.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Ok Dan. The sleeping bag was a good example of fabric weight I can grab onto. Now, more thinking and research. I really appreciate the synopsis of windshirts. Helps me visualize the individual garments and the merits of each. Seems Montbell makes some pretty desireable windshirts. Thanks for the direction.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

not all windshirt are created equal … some are more breathable than others … i can say that my marmot trail wind is not very breathable

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Ya, Eric, that's a big concern for me. I'll learn more tomorrow. Thanks for the comments.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Hi Warren,

FWIW, regarding breathability, the MB windshirts are calendered fabrics. This means that they have been treated w/ heat to buff up their durability, while lessening their breathability. I personally love many a MB item, but own a Pataguch Houdini for its greater breathing. And while it breathes better, the DWR is definitely sufficient for a windshirt. Their are others that also breath better, such as Montane, for example. My Houdini is one of my most used items in my all season kit. It often comes with me over a hardshell here in SW Montana. Love it. Anyway, a light windshirt will probably be an integral part of anyone's LW/UL kit.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah breathability does vary quite a bit mostly due to the water repellent coatings, calendering and to a lesser extent, due to other materials that are sometimes added to the fabric (ie. lycra). I guess the Montbell ones are calendered because it's the same fabric they use in their down garments. If you wait until your Ex-Light arrives then you'll have a better idea what Montbell's 7D nylon is like.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Hi Nick, thanks for the impressions. It gives me some more options to consider. Your comments on the Houdini second those made earlier. Been getting alot of good advice and enjoying the conversation while learning. -Because I live and hike where temps are mostly warmer here in SoCal, I need what ever long sleeve option I have to be breathable. The (borrowed) Exofficio button-front shirt I wore multiple times this year was great. But probably is 9-12 oz. So after Dan and Eric mentioned a windshirt (and they are so much lighter), I've been thinking about that option. Will allow my to lighten up my layers and serve the same purpose as the Exofficio. I'm sure there's a good option out there and some have certainly been mentioned. Either on my own or most likely with the help of other BPLer's, it'll finally surface. Thanks to all who have contributed here. Nighty night.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I just used my driducks ultralite 2 (think that's the one everyone has, I think) for the first time last week on a 3 day trip in the bay area.

Honestly, I'd stick with that for the time being. And if you do get a windshirt, because it's now in your head and you just gotta try it for yourself (I speak from experience), make sure it has a good return policy.

If it's sunny with little wind, but cool when starting out, like in the mornings, it's off in 5 minutes, or it rains lightly for longer than 15 minutes it's off. YMMV, but I highly doubt it's going to replace your longsleeve hiking shirt in SoCal. Sweating in nylon sucks. It is very useful in cool, windy, blusterly (but not raining) weather though, but then so would your driducks.

Having said that, they do pack down really nice, and if you can get a really lightweight (2.5-4 oz) you like, it may not be a big deal to have it along.

If I had the driducks first, and didnt already have a windshirt already, I don't know if I would have bothered. I have a Montane Litespeed.

I also have a medium Ex-light in navy. I think it looks wicked. Haven't used it in the field much though, but it will free up a lot of room in my pack and definitely lighten the load by quite a bit. Mine came in at 5.6 oz on my scale.

I'd look into the thinnest (150g or less) merino wool. I really don't mind sweating in it at all, it keeps you warm when the sweat is evaporating, it feels like new once it's dry and you don't get that funky, itchy feeling. The light weight merino dries fast too.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Thanks for the comments Scott. I had really wondered if a windshirt could breath enough. And I still do. I aim to do some research tomorrow now that I have access to even more of BPL. And if I don't find what I need, I may start a thread on that. I've gotten plenty of good info here, but would like to hear from people in my area about windshirts. I did read about pertex yesteday and that looks promising because it is supposed to breath well. Not sure if it is the right call though. Some also say that the Pata Houdini breaths quite well. Anyway, back to the search I go. Thanks again for the comments on your experience. BTW I used to live in Oak Harbor WA in the late 80s and actually spend time in Vancouver BC at a skate park near the Second Narrows bridge. Those were some fun days.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

My EXL arrive last week. On my scales, and size Medium, it weighs 5.3 ounces and the stuff sack is about .15 to .2 ounces. Can't wait to use it in the field.

Also, I will probably start a windshirt thread in the spring when new offerings may be available. I'll be looking for one that is breathable, blocks sun, and a good bit of wind at that. Thanks again for all your comments. Anyone know of a thread that is dedicated to the explanation of material types? I need to better understand materials so I can make better decisions and understand what they can and can't do.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools