Topic

TiGoat polies best/lightest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TiGoat polies best/lightest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    chris markley

@motorapido

Are the Titanium Goat hiking poles the lightest out there? Best? I know best is subjective, but if you rank light weight as the number one criteria, are they the lightest/best? I'm a Pennsylvania backpacker. Not planning on much snow-shoeing. Mostly hiking rocky, steep trails. I'm an ultra-light hammock/tarp man, so I camp among the trees. However, if I camp in tree-less areas, I want to use the poles to rig up my MacCat Delux Spin tarp. So, do you vote for the Titanium Goat? Vote goat? No-vote-Goat?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

The Gossamer Gear LT4 Trekking Poles are lighter – by 0.1 ounce.

They also have a hand-formed handle rather than a straight/tapered handle.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

flick lock on steep trails …. its much faster to adjust and more reliable

there is of course a weight penalty

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

…. carbon fibre and trekking poles don't go…

They are weak and unpredictable and they break: these are much better and they pack very small:

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/fizan_compact_trekking_poles.html

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

carbon fiber is stronger than un anodized aluminum, that's why its used in car bodies. that poles at that weight in aluminum must have serious compromises. The locking system specifically. Carbon fiber is used in a lot of poles, high end ski poles,tent poles,etc. any poles can be busted,it depends on the user.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

…. carbon fibre and trekking poles don't go…

Disagree. I haven't broken my goat poles yet, and I'm extremely aggressive with them.

CF just like anything comes in an infinite number of quality permutations. Some sucks, some is great. TiGoat stands behind theirs. The uppers are completely guaranteed against breakage, and the lowers can be inexpensively replaced if you happen to step full force onto one wedged in between a rock, which will break any material of pole short of a solid(not hollow) piece of metal.

Buy the Goat Poles and enjoy the simple, beautiful, and most importantly, UL functionality.

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

It's quite interesting, different experiences; I've broken 3 cf poles… I'm not rough – I have good balance/I fell run – so I must have been very unlucky, quite often; two of my 3 cf breaks were nothing; I'll never buy cf poles again, they have let me down. It's just my experience.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"Buy the Goat Poles and enjoy the simple, beautiful, and most importantly, UL functionality."

Javan nailed it. I can't attest to the GG G4's having never used them, but my TiGoat AGP's are great and have given me no issue. Check out the Ti-Goat Yagi Tenkara fly rod accessory if you're interested in Tenkara style fly fishing; it's a really affordable way to get into it assuming you already own the Ti-Goat poles.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Guys,
    I too am considering buying the 2010 Ti Goat poles and am a touch worried about durability, so am planning on buying a spare bottom section to take with me on hikes, which will have the second function of giving my twin hexamid more head room. Does anybody else do anything similar?

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Jeremy,

I've never thought about doing that, but it does make sense as an extra measure of security if you're really concerned. Personally, I wouldn't bring the extra weight along just in case. I've snagged my Tigoat poles in-between rocks on the trail, had them ripped out of my hands during multiple river crossing days after catching them in holes on the river bottom and have been continually surprised by the durability of the TiGoat poles. I opt to use the poles w/o the optional wrist straps and I think this is partially why I haven't snapped any of them; when I snag a pole I simply let go, walk back and retrieve the pole, whereas with a strap I think I surely would've snapped one by now.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Goat poles are fantastic for me. Well made and very smart design.

I also have BPL stix. Great too but not adjustable. But no moving parts to lose. As simple as it gets.

Originally I used the aluminum Leki poles. They are sufficient, but weigh more of course. I've also used old aluminum ski poles and they worked.

I can hike without poles with no problems. So if one ever breaks then I will use a stick for my tarp.

P.S.
    TiGoat has extraordinary customer service in my opinion!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I opt to use the poles w/o the optional wrist straps"

Personally, I think this is key. I'm also aggressive with my poles, but have never busted one because as soon as I feel one 'snagged' I simply let go of it. I also use a light grip on them as I use them.

I've had both TiGoat and LT4s. They're both very well made and you can't go wrong with either.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I've had my TiGoat Poles since spring of 2007 and they are still going. They even survived a PCT thru-hike when I switched to them after 2 weeks on the trail when my heavier and I thought stronger Komperdel CF poles came apart in the heat (both poles came unglued from the lock mechanism and I had to duct tape them together).

My only problem with the Goat Poles was the adjusting screw rusted after 2.5 months on the trail and I had to retap it when I got home from my thru-hike; they have since made a change to make this less likely to happen. The Gossemer Gear pole is more expensive, but I have to admit that their handles are far more comfortable for long term use as the handles are my only real complaint about the Goat Poles.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

and my findings regarding handles are opposite of Sean's.

i broke a stix pole, and looked for a replacement. the GG poles have large handles, so large i dont recommend them to women or men with smaller hands.
    that being said, the ti goat pole handles look silly, no form or shape to them so to speak.. but they perform perfectly. just enough taper to keep my hand from slipping downward, and the swing is good.

here's the best selling point: the bottom section of the ti pole will come apart and connect to the other full length pole to make a super-shaft, good for chores like supporting a "group" tarp. i likes that!

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Customer service +1

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I specifically got the LT3s because I wanted a fixed-length pole with no straps. If I traveled by plane, or frequently adjusted poles while hiking, I would have opted for the LT-4s. All of my hiking, these days, is done within driving distance and I never adjusted them so what's the point of having adjustments!

There's nothing timid about CF poles and I've put mine through the mill. I can think of several occasions where I was glad I didn't have the straps. Twice, I slipped badly on rocks and the poles thankfully went flying. Had they been wrapped around my wrists I'm not sure what might have happened. Nothing good I can think of.

YMMV.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I picked up a pair of new Ti Goat poles on here and I love them so far. I really put them through the paces on a trip in the white mountains. I don't use straps either and when the pole got stuck I just let go (sorry to repeat, but I feel this technique can really save your poles — aluminum or cf). During my trip I slipped on a high step-up (icey trails) and landed on one of my ti goat poles which was suspended (horizontally) across a couple rocks. I thought instant break! Nothing. I bounced off it (due to it being suspended). Stood up, grabbed my pole and continued on.

Other nice features:
    -Simple design. I have a repair kit for it and the pole is definitely field serviceable.
    -No branding. All black.
    -Grips are surprisingly comfy. That was my main concern when getting mine but they have been perfect.

Keep it simple stupid!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've been peeking at those- I've been very happy w/ my BD carbon poles but find I rarely change the length on them- @ 9 oz for a pair it would cut my pole weight in half

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

mike, my set of ti poles is 7.22oz
    i suggest to anyone with carbon poles to add heat-shrink tubing to the lower six inches of the shaft. i really think this lengthened the life of my Stix quite a bit.

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

My Goat poles are freakin awesome. I've pounded on them, they're super light, work great. Customer service is as good as it gets anywhere….i too had a small problem with the rubber grommets, but it was corrected promptly and efficiently. They have worked great for me, hope they work for you too.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

My tigoat AGPs are on their fourth year now… no problems at all. They are rock solid and light

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

"mike, my set of ti poles is 7.22oz
    i suggest to anyone with carbon poles to add heat-shrink tubing to the lower six inches of the shaft. i really think this lengthened the life of my Stix quite a bit."

that's a great tip- thanks!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I use and recommend home made CF staff. About 4.5oz (varies a bit) at a
    <$10 total cost.

Instead of heat shrink, I use a thread wrap with epoxy overcoat. Similar to rod windings. It supplies about 300# or so over the bottom couple inches.

Not the lightest I have seen, but real close.

My thoughts only . . .
    jdm

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I am hard on poles. I put more weight on mine than most people as I have a bad hip and use them for support, like a crutch.

I have busted or bent a few trekking poles.
    I busted a Ti-goat lower after my second hike with them. These were the older, less strong model.

I also experienced the rusted screw issue. The screw needs regular scrubbing with a wire brush if you use them near salt water.

I think they would be fine for most people though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools