Topic

cheap light bowl

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) cheap light bowl

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I realize a bowl of any sorts is forbidden to some but I’ve gotten 2 backcountry trips and 1 car camping trip out of the bowl that comes with a McDonald’s salad.
    7.5 inches in diameter with a half inch lip about 2 inches deep, 22 grams.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

one word: ORIKASO (http://www.orikaso.com)
    big bowl
    What could be better than a fold flat mug, bowl, or plate? How about all of them in a set? Everything you need to eat off in less than 3mm of space, it’s insane.
    solo set

Everything folds perfectly flat. Material actually gets stronger the more you fold it.

REI carries them, as do other outdoor stores.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Yup, those are pretty nifty but I get a real yummy mickeydee’s salad with newman dressing on top of my bowl.

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Ditto what he said: ORIKASO (http://www.orikaso.com)

We tried several options, all cheaper (or free). The easiest option we found if you’re going to be human sumping is Orakaso.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Snowpeak titanium bowl is the best buy in titanium kitchenware– $11.95 or less. You can cook in it too. Some add a wire bail and a foil lid. 5.5″ diameter, 1.6oz.

SnowPeak Ti bowl

GSI makes some simple plastic bowls. Cool Whip containers are good recycled bowls and you can have a fitted lid too.

Somewhere here or in the Web hiking world, someone mentioned making a backcountry sink from the bottom of a gallon milk jug. A half-gallon jug bottom would make a great lightweight bowl and as cheap as they come.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Before you get too excited about them, check the Reviews at http://www.backpackgeartest.org. The bowls were found to have some faults – including a tendency to spill when carrying hot food. The plastic goes a bit soft. The cup was a bit of a failure too.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

When these first came out I used one of the cups everyday for a couple of months for my coffee. If folded correctly I found they work great. There is a fill line inside the cup and if you don’t fill it past the line they don’t leak.

From the picture posted a day or so ago it looks like the cup and dish have been re-designed.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Of the 6 reviewers at BGT, the only negative review was yours, Roger, and you had one of the first edition Picnic sets with the snaps instead of the current friction folds.

Other reviewers questioned the stability of the PLATE, due to it’s large surface area relative to the low sides, and I agree with their assessment. The bowl however has received generally very good ratings. Yes, the Orikaso items – like the titanium, lexan, and similar items – will tranmit heat. Hence my recommendation for a bandana under it when hot liquids are used in the bowl or cup.

Bottom line – HYOH. My wife, son, and I each have a bowl and really enjoy them. Easy to assemble, disassemble, and clean. Stores anywhere. The unfolded bowl slips easily down one side of the pack, or lies flat across the top. No more rigid Tuppeware or salsa containers for us.

Wandering Bob

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I gotta chime in on the Snowpeak Ti Bowl as it doubles as a pot and it nests, oh so nicely, around a 3-cup ziplock bowl with homemade cozy…

tibowl and cozy nested

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I use a empty soft margerine tub. They weigh nothing, they’re tough, cost nothing and best of all, you don’t have to go to McDonalds;)

I like them so much that my dogs each carry one for their food and water.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

I hate getting busted about McDonald’s over a salad, would you believe the bowls are so cool I threw the salad away… I didn’t think so.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I have the old bowl design with the snaps and never had a problem with it. Bought the new one with folds and tab and find that the tabs show a lot of stress, especially when used in the cold. And I have found that a lot of food hides in the folds and only shows back up when one goes to wash it after unfolding. Frankly, I am disappointed in the new design and am going back to using my Cool whip bowl and the old style when appropriate.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

And I have found that a lot of food hides in the folds and only shows back up when one goes to wash it after unfolding.

That is true but it’s been just the solids and it’s been a simple matter to lick it clean after unfolding and before washing.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

I use the bottom third of an old platypus 1L bottle after it developed a leak near the cap. Weight — 0.4oz.

Unfortunately, it is now about three seasons old and the newer platy bottles are much better made, so I don’t have a failing one handy to replace it. It seems a bit much to buy a 1L platy bottle and cut it with scissors — but a 1L platy is $4.95, while an Orikaso bowl is $5.50 and a snow peak ti bowl is $11.95 at REI.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

“I use the bottom third of an old platypus 1L bottle after it developed a leak near the cap. Weight — 0.4oz.

Unfortunately, it is now about three seasons old and the newer platy bottles are much better made, so I don’t have a failing one handy to replace it.”

Did anyone else find this comment extremely funny?

Nancy A Lubas

@nal44

Tupperware makes Flat Outs in 3 sizes (sorry, don’t know weights) – 2, 3 and 4 cups, with lids, that compress to nearly flat, though not as flat as Orikaso.

Durability and response to hot food are unknown, but Tupperware quality may be a good indicator.

Check eBay for examples.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

Hopefully you are laughing with me, not *at me.

And it was intended to be funny, even though it is a factual statement.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

They’re making Platypus’ stronger now? In the past five years I think I’ve replace about three or four various Platypus bladders. I’ve put them through the absolute harshest of conditions so I don’t hold the company responsible for the product’s demise. And I still stand by them. I’ll have to mail off my current failing set of them to see what the new ones have to offer.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I use “Source” bladders now. I prefer them to the Platypus. As for the topic of the thread… well… I use my 24 oz. beercan for my bowl… so… not much to offer there :) I LOVE it… but it’s not for everyone… and it’s heavier that that McD salad bowl. BTW… microwave meals often have nice light plastic bowls.

michael a blandina

@hairball

The platy is one sweet piece of gear. I really can’t think of something that continuously breaks that I keep using other than my favorite bladder, “The Bladderpuss.” Everyone that we hiked with last year on the AT replaced their platy around Harper’s Feery. SnowBunny and I got “Cabela-pusses” that, after 1 rigorous day out of Port Clinton, PA, proceeded to leak on us until we reached Palmerton. Even if the Platy is prone to failure, it is my favorite H2O container out there.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

David, which Source bladder do you use? And where do you buy yours?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found their Web site:

http://www.source-vagabond.com/store-allproducts.html

Kelty also uses their bladders and hoses for their haydration packs.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Miguel: I use the Liquitainer 1L and I bought mine at the MEC. I don’t know if they last any longer, I just like the twist cap much better and I also like the flip top and the shape better.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Platypus (MSR) will replace an old vessle if you ask nicely, and it wasn’t broken because of operator failure.

Also – the ZIPLOC bowl weighs 1.1 oz with the lid, and that’s pretty light, and I’ve had one last over 30 days.

I’ve used the Platy BOTTOM as a bowl (0.6 oz!), and it is pretty nice, but it can be hard to clean.

also – I have started to carry those tiny platy patches. They work well, and I’ve used ’em in the field!

peace,
    M!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Yeah, I’m definitely laughing with you at the situation… :D

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools