Topic

CloudKilt by TrailLite Designs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CloudKilt by TrailLite Designs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

While browsing gear I came across these this morning: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml by TrailLight Designs.
    Even living in the PNW for the past eight years I've not worn rain pants as they were either two long (I'm only 5'4") or too hot (became more hot from perspiration vice rain). The CloudKilt looks incredibly appealing as:
    1. Wrap around design provides protection and ventilation
    2. Much lighter than a traditional pair of rain paints at 1.6 oz)
    3. Compresses much smaller (won't take as much room in either the main pack, front or side pocket).
    4. They come in short….at least someone is looking out for the short guy :-)

Anyways looking forward to ordering; anyone have any insight or first hand knowledge of this product or opinion?

Cheers

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Thom Darrah owns TrailLite. He is well respected here and comes up with some really innovative designs. Zpacks is the perfect manufacturing partner for the kilt. I can't speak for the cloadkilt, but Thom did run the idea past me and I'm glad to see it make it into the market. I thought…now why didn't I think of that. This item certainly dominates the weight battle vs. rain pants. I also like the outside the box thinking…triangle mode makes a small beak. One issue with cuben is its transparency, but this thing made from the black cuben means you could strip down and do a load of wash without being arrested. I'd say it is definately worth checking out. I see it says in stock, I assume this means you won't have to wait 4+ weeks to get it.

Jamie

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I'm going to be using the TrailLite Designs CloudKilt on my PCT thru-hike. I did a ton of research. I just like the way it is designed, the weight savings, the fact I won't be muddying up myself or my rain pants when putting them on or taking them off, not to mention the fact they wrap around in a heartbeat…and the ventilation/hothouse sauna factor will be negated.

Mine is arriving any day, very excited to give it a trial run through when I do. We've been getting a lot of rain up this way (the last week, especially) and it'll be great timing.

Thom took a good idea, ran with it, and designed something that should be standard equipment for most. I will do a full write-up as soon as they arrive and give them a whirl.

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

A hi-tech version of Colin's Kilt! This was made from a trash bag and described in the third edition of Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker back in 1984. He designed it to wear over shorts when walking through wet brush. This cuben fiber one sounds excellent.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

"designed something that should be standard equipment for most"

Absolutely…..it has all the benefits of rain pants without the negatives, is exceptionally lighter at 1.6oz, and comparably priced (actually cheaper than many traditional rain pants).
    Dug, looking forward to the write-up.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have used a ULA rain skirt for several years. The concept is great, once you get past the dorky look. I keep telling myself I'm not out there to build a lasting relationship with people hiking by me. Then a few weeks ago I saw the cloudkilt on the zpacks.com website. I bought it and am really glad I did. For starters, it's an opaque black, and not blue which I didn't like, and it's not balloony like my ula one, so the dork factor dropped quite a bit. Plus, it weighs a lot less. I'm really glad I bought it, especially now that I know Thom Darrah designed it.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

+1 to Kathleen's comments. I received my Cloudkilt the other day and I haven't even had a chance to try it on. I also wanted something a little more neutral colored than the blue ULA, which I didn't use that much only because I didn't get out last year as much as I wanted.

It's worth comparing cost and weight for both, however, especially for a product that has the potential to be in a pack more than on the body.

Finally, it's amusing to me that almost all the comments are from folks in the PNW or Scotland. : )

Edit: sorry to Chris if he is not from Scotland; I just assumed b/c of his profile pic

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

"Finally, it's amusing to me that almost all the comments are from folks in the PNW or Scotland. : )"

Unfortunately, I recently relocated to the Pasadena/Arcadia area of SoCal (purely my wife's doing) :-(…..no offense to any Southern Californians but I do miss the beloved Olympics.

It's great to hear the great comments regarding the design….it'll be an even easier purchase now, especially as the frequency of rain is much less in my new location.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Thanks for the positive comments. Be watching for the cuben CloudCape to be available around the first of the year. The Cloudcape will provide hooded upper torso rain protection weighing under 4oz.

Thom
    TrailLite Designs

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello All

The Kilt is a great product. Mine will serve its rain purpose and as a beak for my flat tarp. Great job Thom and Joe.

Jim

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I'm in possession of the last prototype, and used it on my recent trip to Peru. Worked great, I enjoyed having it, since i really dislike rain-pants. Breathability was still a bit of a concern for me when moving at pace, but it was weird weather, moving in and out of rain constantly, where you'd be getting poured on, then in glaring sun a few minutes later. I'd probably be less of an issue if the Kilt were cone shaped, but that would increase the cost of production significantly while removing much of the versatility toward other uses.

The version I have uses 1.5oz cuben which obviously was a bit overkill, and snaps instead of velcro, so I can't comment on the closure, other than to say the snaps worked fine also.

It definitely kept the rain off, and as someone else mentioned, it can be used successfully as a beak/door for a tarp. Saved me from a soaking since I had a last minute shelter change-up, and ended up having to use my spinn hammock tarp, which isn't really cut for ground use. Storm came in and I had to pitch the tarp low at the feet, but was pretty exposed on the head end. I wasn't prepared to use the Kilt this way, and hadn't discussed it with anybody previously, but luckily the idea popped into my brain just in time.

Here's a picture the next day:choquequirao trail

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Okay; so I've now got the CloudKilt bookmarked in my "Buy Soon" list; but I do have a couple of questions.

I would expect the cuben material to be kinda noisy when hiking. Is that a problem?

Is there an issue with static buildup with the cuben rubbing against synthetic pants?

What are the actual overall dimensions unfolded — i.e. can it function as most or all of a floor liner?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

David, I can answer a couple of those questions.

It isn't suitable for special ops or any sort of stealth activity. ;) It's not horrendous but it definitely sounds like cuben, which is kind of a muted plastic sound. I didn't find it to be an issue, all rain gear is noisy IMHO, it's definitely not as bad as a space blanket or emergency poncho.

I didn't experience any static build up that I noticed, even moving through different atmospheric conditions ascending and descending from elevation. One quirk for me, but this may have changed in the final model, was that if I was moving at a strong pace the Kilt would sometimes ride up my thighs a bit, that was probably due to me cinching it down really tight because of rain however. Like I said, it would be nice if it could be made conical, but I doubt that's reasonable.

As to sizing, I don't have those numbers off the top of my head.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The CloudKilt is available in three sizes, opened flat they measure:
    22" x 52" – small
    25" x 52" – medium
    30" x 52" – large

The cuben will soften and quiet with age and use.

Thom
    TrailLite Designs

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

Thanks for the responses. Definitely on my "buy right after I pay the Christmas bills" list!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

I wore my cloud kilt today on a snowshoe trip to test it out. It was 33 degrees with steady snow/rain all day. I'm 5'3", I got the medium, and it comes just to the top of my gaiters. There was an earlier comment about wishing it were A-line, but I'm glad it isn't. The straight shape works fine, and the kilt opening (I kept it in the back) gives the room needed for occasional big steps. No static electricity build-up, minimum crinkle noise, and fast to put on. Highly recommended.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Love it!!!

Pros:
    -easy on/off
    -color (black) great choice. Doing laundry just got easier.
    -not noisy. Noisier than jeans, yeah, but not bad. Like Thom mentioned, cuben softens w/age.
    -so easy to adjust. Wrap, Velcro top, cinch & slide lock & you're set.

Cons:
    -thinking……..

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Sorry to derail this for a bit, but Javan, what kind of pad are you using in your pic? It looks like you cut down a blue ccf into sections…is it held together in a cuben sleeve? Or is that just your groundsheet showing underneath it? I can't really tell, but it looks interesting. Thanks

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

It is a nicely crafted item. After getting it and trying it on, I prefer my ULA rain wrap.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools