Topic

Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Outdoor Products Packable Daypack

Wal-Mart Packable Daypack

I spotted this at my local Wally World today. Couldn't resist, at least it's an excuse to take a short hike.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I guess this hadn't been mentioned here before either. You can get window film kits (polycro) near the paint and tool area. The normal window kit should give you 6 sheets of 5×6 for $9. Mine currently has them marked down to $5. They also have large door kits that are 7×10 that could be used as a very light albeit see-through tarp. That was marked down to $4.50.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I found myself at the 'Mart a few weeks ago and curiosity got the best of me…

Stitching and material is good; grommets are the weak point, it seems.

(My first time pitching a 'tarp' – quick and easy. I can dig that!)

I was actually surprised that there was not more separation from the other
    grommets; this was the worst one.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Michael Sagehorn

@msagehorn

Here's what I buy at WalMart:

1) Sturdy cotton khaki hiking shorts- $10-lasts for five years and I wear them nearly every day.

2) Hiking pole- I bought a red, collapsible pole 12 years ago and it has supported my poncho "hooch" many times, walked many a mile, and even regrettably killed a rattlesnake that wouldn't slither away after giving it plenty of opportunities to escape in a campsite loaded with 12 year old Scouts.

3) CA Fishing license- REI and the local sporting goods stores don't sell them. Why not?

4) Coffee percolator-French press coffee on a camping trip is a way too girly-man for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools